WAYS COACHES SELECT PLAYERS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Notice some Coaches in College have tendencies to pick the same type of players over and over.
Same shape
Similar in size

However~
Other College Coaches DO NOT do that.
Will have variety instead.

What Colleges have you noticed
with these two trends?
How do you select players for your rosters?

Myself look for what the individual brings, not limited by size or shape.

Jun 8, 2016
Notice some Coaches in College have tendencies to pick the same type of players over and over.
Same shape
Similar in size

However~

with these two trends?

Myself look for what the individual brings, not limited by size or shape.
For the most part, OU appears to recruit kids who could play linebacker for the football team if they had to.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Same shape
Similar in size
However~
with these two trends?

I don't separate college coaches from any other set of coaches; it is the same set of characters. Some are great and recruit on the merits of the player and how they can help the team - some don't. Some like certain types of players, some are open. Some follow trends - some are still stuck in 1970's style of softball. Some are REALLY knowledgeable - some shouldn't be coaching t-ball. I always laugh when someone says "College coach told me that they like XXX" because it is always garbage - it is what THAT coach likes.

Some stuff you learn and observe as you are involved in helping your players get recruited"
  • There is a college I know where every player in the team photo is blond and 5'6-5'10'. All of them. Every year. No exceptions.
  • One only recruits from 3 states; CA, NJ and NY. The school is not located in any of these states.
  • Local JUCO coach only recruits lefties for his outfield. And I mean natural lefties, not lefty slappers who field and throw right-handed.
  • One D1 coach commits 20-25 players per freshman class. Every year he plays 30+ players because they drop like flies. Hasn't had a player stay all 4 years in 10 seasons - this year might be the first one.
  • One school's #1 pitchers are always transfer Juniors and Seniors. Those in the program since freshman years never get into the full rotation
  • Several schools - the primary AC is really the HC. HC is just a figurehead who is there.
  • Many only recruit athletic-looking girls.
  • One is religious about his catchers footwork and stance BEFORE they get to him. He likes a certain stance. I don't get it, but I can tell you right now which catcher he will recruit for 2022 and 2023.
  • One only recruits HR hitters. She doesn't care if they can field - she says she will make up for bad fielding by hitting bombs. Makes sense - their field has 190' fence.
And so on. There are some more... creepy.. behaviors out there I know of. You can imagine.... All I can say is do your homework on the coaches who are recruiting your DD.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Based on the amount of points OU has given up over the last few seasons, I'd say they're well past "if they had to", and are quickly approaching "well they can't do any worse...".
Yeah they don't pay me by the win here in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering department so it doesn't bother me too much.. :)

Apr 26, 2019
I don't separate college coaches from any other set of coaches; it is the same set of characters. Some are great and recruit on the merits of the player and how they can help the team - some don't. Some like certain types of players, some are open. Some follow trends - some are still stuck in 1970's style of softball. Some are REALLY knowledgeable - some shouldn't be coaching t-ball. I always laugh when someone says "College coach told me that they like XXX" because it is always garbage - it is what THAT coach likes.

Some stuff you learn and observe as you are involved in helping your players get recruited"
  • There is a college I know where every player in the team photo is blond and 5'6-5'10'. All of them. Every year. No exceptions.
  • One only recruits from 3 states; CA, NJ and NY. The school is not located in any of these states.
  • Local JUCO coach only recruits lefties for his outfield. And I mean natural lefties, not lefty slappers who field and throw right-handed.
  • One D1 coach commits 20-25 players per freshman class. Every year he plays 30+ players because they drop like flies. Hasn't had a player stay all 4 years in 10 seasons - this year might be the first one.
  • One school's #1 pitchers are always transfer Juniors and Seniors. Those in the program since freshman years never get into the full rotation
  • Several schools - the primary AC is really the HC. HC is just a figurehead who is there.
  • Many only recruit athletic-looking girls.
  • One is religious about his catchers footwork and stance BEFORE they get to him. He likes a certain stance. I don't get it, but I can tell you right now which catcher he will recruit for 2022 and 2023.
  • One only recruits HR hitters. She doesn't care if they can field - she says she will make up for bad fielding by hitting bombs. Makes sense - their field has 190' fence.
And so on. There are some more... creepy.. behaviors out there I know of. You can imagine.... All I can say is do your homework on the coaches who are recruiting your DD.

If this college is in SoCal or Arizona, it doesn't sound like it would be terribly difficult.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If this college is in SoCal or Arizona, it doesn't sound like it would be terribly difficult.

It might not be difficult - just that at some point it becomes creepy and at over 8 years now it is well past that point. 'Blond' is not a softball skill. And no they are not in SoCal or Arizona.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm just a Mom, but I'm finding it interesting that DD has been told by several schools now (D1 and DIII) that her hitting is what matters; if she can hit, they will find a position for her on the field. She is a catcher, but I kind of assumed that, being a skilled position, her catching skills should be tip-top, but it sounds like that doesn't really matter much? <Shrugs>

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm just a Mom, but I'm finding it interesting that DD has been told by several schools now (D1 and DIII) that her hitting is what matters; if she can hit, they will find a position for her on the field. She is a catcher, but I kind of assumed that, being a skilled position, her catching skills should be tip-top, but it sounds like that doesn't really matter much? <Shrugs>
While its true being a good hitter is essential.
There are 9 defensive spots that have to play the field.
Far fewer designated or pinch hitters per game.

Player selection is an interesting thing.
Fit in the trend or not so much?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28