Washington Huskies - impressive start!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Perennial Pac-12 powerhouse UW Huskies proved today that they are the team to beat in conference this year by only losing to the Gophers 8-0. Very surprising score - never dreamed that any team could keep the potent Gopher offense under 10 runs. Well done Washington!!!!

Mar 26, 2013
Minnie beat UW 8-0 (5) and UW beat Bakersfield 11-2 (6). The Minnie-Bakersfield game could be very ugly unless Minnie starts their reserves...

UW starter against Minnie is the only one that's pitched for them before this year. They're hurting after Inglesby and Walker graduated last year. At this point, it looks like they have a mediocre #2, weak #3 and 4 unknowns.

Mar 26, 2013
I hope they aren't expecting too much from Alvelo next year. Not a knock on her - she's very good and I expect she'll help them. However, there's a learning curve to pitching in a major conference and a lot of similarly talented freshmen took their lumps in the process.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Sorry about UW's luck.... I get to watch 6-9 of her games this spring...All with in 25 min. of my house. Some less than 10min.... 2 less than 5min. :cool:

Dec 20, 2012
Alvelo is not your avg freshman coming in. I fully expect her to come in and take the #1 spot. Playing for Conroy she is seeing D1 competition every weekend so I don't believe the learning curve is near as great.

Mar 26, 2013
I also think Alvelo is a lot better than your avg freshman, however I've seen a number of pitchers with the same type of TB career with top orgs take their lumps as freshmen in college. They take most of the lumps from top teams and generally do well against the rest. My point was UW fans shouldn't expect Alvelo to have a freshman season like Ricketts, Escobedo, Traina, et al.

I think a lot has to do with the school's coaching - some improve their pitchers (e.g. Mich w/ Wagner), some are detrimental and a lot probably don't have much impact on them one way or another.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221