Was the SEC overrated this year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I think it's more a case of they beat the hell out of one another in conference play leaving each other battered and bruised.

Alabama is in trouble if they think they can ride Fouts again like they did this year. Losing Kilfoyle hurts.
Bailey Hemphill. No one else filled the big shoes that she left empty last year. She changed every game she played in.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Florida was not the same team they have been in the past. They appear to be hitting on all 8 cylinders now. Great wins against a team that had pitchers playing the finger tape game, bringing balls in from the dugout, leaving every ball as sticky as a white mens fastpitch ball from 1992 and…. well the rest is out there in all the Skippy Pitcher threads.

Here is my in depth analysis from the perspective of a Poser Sports Observer/Almost Fan.

Alabama- couldn’t score runs. Had something funky going on with team chemistry. Needed a big hitter.

Arkansas- I’m a big fan of the coaching. They are slowly getting better, being taken seriously.

Tennessee- Sadness accrues. I think a Weekly still owns the result.

Kentucky- Pitching, pitching, pitching.

LSU- Over rated every year. Can’t hit a lick. Thread title fits LSU like a glove.

Missouri- Fearsome lineup. Real defensive plan. Didn’t get over the hump this year. I’m STILL not sure about that head coach……

Georgia. IDK…. Do hate their name. Bulldogs? Yuck.

Ole Miss, Snuck up on some good teams and beat them over the head.

Auburn- Heloooooooo Auburn? Can you hear me down there? Nice hat, Mickey. Hope you got a free bowl of soup with it.

Mississippi State kind of the same deal as Ole Miss. They sneak up on you with quiet little cat feet. Beat yo azz over the head. Catcher Mia Davidson: truly outstanding. A gem of a player that could have helped any team on this list.

Texas A&M- Not a bad showing at the end for an old time coach who is likely one of the good people in D1 softball. The future of A&M will be interesting. New stadium, great place to go to school, looking forward not back.

Are they over rated? Idk. Complacent? Maybe that’s a better word. Stressed to the begeezus belt about the teams coming to the conference? For sure.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Florida was not the same team they have been in the past. They appear to be hitting on all 8 cylinders now. Great wins against a team that had pitchers playing the finger tape game, bringing balls in from the dugout, leaving every ball as sticky as a white mens fastpitch ball from 1992 and…. well the rest is out there in all the Skippy Pitcher threads.

Here is my in depth analysis from the perspective of a Poser Sports Observer/Almost Fan.

Alabama- couldn’t score runs. Had something funky going on with team chemistry.

Arkansas- I’m a big fan of the coaching. They are slowly getting better, being taken seriously.

LSU- Over rated every year. Can’t hit a lick. Thread title fits LSU like a glove.

Missouri- Fearsome lineup. Real defensive plan. Didn’t get over the hump this year. I’m STILL not sure about that head coach……

Georgia. IDK…. Do hate their name.

Auburn- Heloooooooo Auburn? Can you hear me down there? Nice hat, Mickey. Hope you got a free bowl of soup with it.

Mississippi State kind of the same deal as Ole Miss. They sneak up on you with quiet little cat feet. Beat yo azz over the head. Catcher Mia Davidson: truly outstanding. A gem of a player that could have helped any team on this list.

Texas A&M- This will be interesting. New stadium, great place to go to school, looking forward not back.

Are they over rated? Idk. Complacent? Maybe that’s a better word.
May I ask why you are not sure about Larissa Anderson? IMO, she's phenomenal. Of course, I'm biased as we train with her mentor, the legend, Bill Edwards.

Dec 11, 2010
Post camp speeches. Thought she hit some very odd notes. ymmv.

Her hitting coach is fairly new, apparently paid a ton of attention when Malveaux was there. Kept the hitting program consistent from what I have read. That is working for sure.

Oct 14, 2019
Alabama and Florida were absolutely not the teams they have been in the

Bailey Hemphill. No one else filled the big shoes that she left empty last year. She changed every game she played in.

Alabama- couldn’t score runs. Had something funky going on with team chemistry. Needed a big hitter.

Georgia. IDK…. Do hate their name. Bulldogs? Yuck.

Texas A&M- Not a bad showing at the end for an old time coach who is likely one of the good people in D1 softball. The future of A&M will be interesting. New stadium, great place to go to school, looking forward not back.

Are they over rated? Idk. Complacent? Maybe that’s a better word. Stressed to the begeezus belt about the teams coming to the conference? For sure.
Florida is better than last year. Great team speed and probably best D in the country. Need better pitching.

Dec 11, 2010
Florida is better than last year. Great team speed and probably best D in the country. Need better pitching.
Florida is one of those schools that it shocks me when they don't have "the" player they need. It seems like Walton would have his pick of the best, no matter what position. He is a really good coach (from outward appearances at least). Seems like a place to spend four years.

I think I only saw Florida play once this year. They were good that day but it didn't seem like this was their year for WCWS. I really thought VT would beat them. Goes to show how much I know, lol
Georgia. Hits like a WCWS team. Pitches like a mid-major team, and not a good one.

Great way to put it!

Feb 20, 2020
My beloved Gators for a couple of early breaks in game 3, and then Rochard and VT just collapsed. We'll take the win, but that was as much about VT not being tough enough as it was about what we did. UF got them flustered early -- those first inning errors really got in their heads, and then just kept trying to make them freak out.

UF hasn't been the same program since Jen Rocha went to Oklahoma. That said, Walton coached brilliantly against VT, and if we're looking for "{that" player Skylar Wallace might be it. Girl has skillz.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
People convince themselves how good the SEC is with circular arguments; i.e. if they win against a conference foe, it is a great win, if they lose against a conference foe, it is not a bad loss because they lost to a tough team. They seem to have a lot of slightly better than mediocre teams, IMO. No way they deserved to have nearly every team in the conference qualify for the field of 64. I think they were exposed when subjected to playing non-SEC teams. Big 12 had 3 teams in field of 64 & 3 teams in final 8 (vs 12 and 1 for SEC), including 3rd place Texas beating the 2 time SEC champs. Arguable the Big 12 and Pac 12 have shown who are the best conferences. Remember last year when OU getting the #1 seed in the tournament was in serious doubt because they didn't play in a "tough" conference like the SEC? I don't remember an SEC team making it to the finals last year, either....

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yes, I think it was a bit of a down year for the SEC. Doesn’t mean they were bad, just not as dominant as usual. I think all the SEC teams in the top 25 were ranked a few spots higher than they should have been.

For what it’s worth, SEC teams ranked in the top 25 went something like 10-14 against the PAC 12 this year when I checked last week. Not shabby, but not what you’d expect from what has been the best conference in softball for some time now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812