Warm up pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
My understanding is yes, in most circumstances/rule sets. However, depending on the tournament/umpires I've seen them not give any to a pitcher who has already received warm up pitches in the game.

Jun 22, 2008
My understanding is yes, in most circumstances/rule sets. However, depending on the tournament/umpires I've seen them not give any to a pitcher who has already received warm up pitches in the game.

Assuming the team isnt dinking around wasting time and is hussling, if an umpire tells you a pitcher doesnt get any warm up pitches the coach needs to use the word protest. At the beginning of each half inning and when a pitcher relieves another they get 1 minute to throw not more than 5 warm up pitches. It is also at the umpires discretion as to allowing more than that if the weather is cold or an inury has forced a pitching change where another player has to come into the game cold. There is also no restriction on how many warm up pitches are thrown if the umpire is administering other duties.

The only time a pitcher coming in to pitch doesnt get any warm ups is if they have already pitched in that same half inning and are coming back in to pitch.

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for clarifying that @Comp We have had more than one umpire state that if the pitcher had previously taken warm up pitches in the game that she did not get any when she reentered to pitch mid-inning later in the game.

May 16, 2016
Thanks for clarifying that @Comp We have had more than one umpire state that if the pitcher had previously taken warm up pitches in the game that she did not get any when she reentered to pitch mid-inning later in the game.

It could be a tournament specific rule, especially if they have short games, like 65 minutes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449