Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is a freshman and will be in the rotation on her HS team. Not sure what that means- twice a week, once a week, three times a week, or moving up and down from JV to Varsity. She loves playing with her HS friends and would rather play with them than TB. They have played in the Dixie World Series twice and won every conference championship in MS possible. Good group of players and better than the local TB teams. The dilemma for me as a parent is how can we commit to playing TB during HS ball not knowing when, where, or how many games she will throw that week. She hasn't played on local TB teams the last 3 years. Will be 15 in April.

May 16, 2016
High school ball is real softball... no time limits... no team hopping... every game matters... it's a short, but grueling schedule...

If you read college player bios... they all recount their high school athletic achievements... All Region... All State... many times their "travel ball club" isn't even mentioned.

The OP is totally missing the point of playing school ball... My DD didn't really get it her freshman year, but when her varsity jacket arrived, and we started talking about where her all region patch should go... she started to see the light...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Lets not stop travel ball at the most important showcasing and competitive years.
Give players who dont want to play high school the option to stay with their travel teams.
Most of our dd 16u team doesnt want to play high school ball because of low level talent and coaching. After our eldest daughter played 4 years of varsity high school ball the break from travel was obvious.
Speed of the game and talent level.
Our middle age daughter wants to stay on track at her competitive level.
3 local high school options the high school coaches have no competitive experience beyond comming from rec ball. Not even upper age competitive travel.
Give travel players who dont want to play high school the option to keep playing travel ball.
Let whomever else wants to play in high school that option.
Why the heck stop travel when at these ages many teams are looking to showcase.
If high schools want to attract players and keep a strong program they will have to select more intelligent coaches.
Why would you let your dd play HS ball then? Remove her from the HS team and practice her and her disgruntled teammates. Travel where you can find games.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD didn't really get it her freshman year, but when her varsity jacket arrived, and we started talking about where her all region patch should go... she started to see the light...

We all know HS ball is hit or miss throughout the country. Many times the success of a team is predicated on what neighborhood you live in. I never got the patches she earned her Sr. year, but was thinking about the other day. There is only room on the back of the jacket now. Younger DD wears Big sister's letter jacket to school.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
We seem to have a number of girls who play soccer in HS while practicing softball with their TB team. Then they play softball during the summer.

I don't know how good they are at soccer but they are decent to good softball players and the HS program needs them.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our HS Team's are poor, no idea why. We have the talent but players do not want to play. DD had no interest for whatever reason, never discussed it too much.

DD went to a couple of her HS SB clinics so I meet the coaches and current players and they were all great which is why she went to more then just 1.

When niece went to one of the local HS they had 2 freshman Teams, she was the starting CF for 1 of the Teams. She was cut as a sophomore so I paid less attention but the HS Team seemed to fall apart as the players got older.

Mar 10, 2020
High school ball is real softball... no time limits... no team hopping... every game matters... it's a short, but grueling schedule...

If you read college player bios... they all recount their high school athletic achievements... All Region... All State... many times their "travel ball club" isn't even mentioned.

The OP is totally missing the point of playing school ball... My DD didn't really get it her freshman year, but when her varsity jacket arrived, and we started talking about where her all region patch should go... she started to see the light...
Our area couldnt disagree more with your comments.
There is no compairison to what dd plays in travel to h.s.
She doesnt need to inflate her hitting stats against weak pitching and defenses. Spend her time gently throwing to not injury the first baseman.
Point is to not step backwards on the way. If a varsity letter is important to you do that.
Eldest pitcher did well in h.s. but colleges didnt care much for those high school stats. They wanted to see her against travel talent.

Jul 8, 2020
As a parent, i do like the break from all the travel, let's us do things as a family. The competition for my DD is not as good as travel. She is also the only pitcher, which can lead to a lot of pitching. She does enjoy time with the high school friends and I think it is important to balance high school and travel. Not sure if she would only do travel or not given the option.

I heard in California, before this second outbreak, that players were going to be able to play travel and high school at the same time this year. Not sure if that was true or formalized, but something I heard.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IL is same. You can play TB and school ball at same time, last I looked they shut school ball down again.

MS is in the fall, HS spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478