Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Lets not stop travel ball at the most important showcasing and competitive years.
Give players who dont want to play high school the option to stay with their travel teams.
Most of our dd 16u team doesnt want to play high school ball because of low level talent and coaching. After our eldest daughter played 4 years of varsity high school ball the break from travel was obvious.
Speed of the game and talent level.
Our middle age daughter wants to stay on track at her competitive level.
3 local high school options the high school coaches have no competitive experience beyond comming from rec ball. Not even upper age competitive travel.
Give travel players who dont want to play high school the option to keep playing travel ball.
Let whomever else wants to play in high school that option.
Why the heck stop travel when at these ages many teams are looking to showcase.
If high schools want to attract players and keep a strong program they will have to select more intelligent coaches.

May 27, 2013
I don’t believe much recruiting can happen during the HS season., especially in the spring. College coaches are busy with their teams and might not be allowed to watch any competition per NCAA rules.

Mar 10, 2020
It would be better for those high school months to stay in travel to practice and play friendlies. Keep same summer schedule.
Easy for tournaments to pop up.
Those businesses dont shut down for younger age brackets anyway.
At the very least not step down in competitive level. Not put players in an unneeded situation to cause conflict between a travel coach and high school coach they wont listen to and shouldnt.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If y'all don't want to play HS ball, then don't. There are players out there that choose that route. If my DD did that, I would tell her that you need to get involved in something else on campus.

I bet if you asked many of the 16u/18u travel coaches they would say that they like the break during the spring months so they can get mentally and physically recharged. When April comes rolling around they are chomping at the bit to get their players together. Lots of those same coaches coach HS or MS ball as well.

Good luck in convincing 100's players to quit their HS team so they can play TB. Families need a break from travel too. They need to recharge their vacation days for the summer run. Like BT3100 said HS ball can teach players stuff that TB doesn't. For all the crappy stuff that happens in HS there is enough of the good stuff to help off set. HS ball you practice or play just about every day which actually can help prepare for the daily grind of college bound players. For the better players there are teaching opportunities with the younger players. How about freshman getting to play against stud Seniors? Otherwise they would be playing against other 14U or 16U players in TB.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm? Having spoken with quite a few travel coaches about this h.s. play or not conundrum.
Every single coach thinks high school screws up players. To much improper techniques. Bad habit forming environment. They get lazy.
Several coach friends talk about that 'Get them back in shape month'.

Perhaps with covid guidelines the school programs will be even more difficult to provide sports.

Seems travel is still travel.
People have found practice fields.
More tournys popped up
(out of state)
Think travel continuing could be a good time to keep it going!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
In the 11th and 12th grades I gave Anna the option of not playing HS ball and just focus on lessons (hitting!!) and conditioning, knowing that the college conditioning would be much tougher than any she's ever experienced.

BUT.....I also told her if she stepped on the HS field once, just once, even for a meeting or preseason workouts, she's in! So you better think it over and make your mind up kiddo!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If y'all don't want to play HS ball, then don't. There are players out there that choose that route. If my DD did that, I would tell her that you need to get involved in something else on campus.

I bet if you asked many of the 16u/18u travel coaches they would say that they like the break during the spring months so they can get mentally and physically recharged. When April comes rolling around they are chomping at the bit to get their players together. Lots of those same coaches coach HS or MS ball as well.

Good luck in convincing 100's players to quit their HS team so they can play TB. Families need a break from travel too. They need to recharge their vacation days for the summer run. Like BT3100 said HS ball can teach players stuff that TB doesn't. For all the crappy stuff that happens in HS there is enough of the good stuff to help off set. HS ball you practice or play just about every day which actually can help prepare for the daily grind of college bound players. For the better players there are teaching opportunities with the younger players. How about freshman getting to play against stud Seniors? Otherwise they would be playing against other 14U or 16U players in TB.
Options are a good thing.
Maybe giving the option will offer a better experience in high schools by not having a multi mixture of talent on a team that holds back some and puts presssure on others?!

The other high school stuff can be gained through other activities.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802