Wait, WTF? Is that the real ruling?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Most tournaments I we have been at, on a dropped 3rd strike, if the batter makes a move back to the dugout, instead of going to 1st they will call her out.

Jun 22, 2008
Most tournaments I we have been at, on a dropped 3rd strike, if the batter makes a move back to the dugout, instead of going to 1st they will call her out.
Then you have umpires that don't know the rules. Until batter steps foot in dead ball territory they can go to first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
Then you have umpires that don't know the rules. Until batter steps foot in dead ball territory they can go to first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dead ball meaning foul territory or the dugout? I wouldn't doubt they didn't know the rules, it happened one or two times last year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dead ball meaning foul territory or the dugout? I wouldn't doubt they didn't know the rules, it happened one or two times last year.

Dead ball territory is outside the field of play (if the ball goes there, it's dead). In this case, it's usually the dugout.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Okay. Strike on the swing. Dead ball when the ball hits the batter, so the batter cannot advance to first, even it it is a dropped third strike right? I wouldn't think it could be a dropped third strike if the ball hit the batter because the ball is dead before it reaches the catcher. Plus the batter runner is out when she interferes with the dropped third strike.

Jul 14, 2018
You had to see it to believe it. The pitcher has already signed with a D1 school. The batter was the number 9 hitter and she was scared to death to be up there. She was asked to bunt the first two pitches every time and would square and pull back when the ball was halfway.

Then they essentially declared a "do over." And the batter singled.

Who cares about the right call? What an incredible thrill that must have been for this batter!

May 29, 2015

As comp pointed out, they were wrong. There has been discussion of changing this in some rule sets, but as of now the batter has to actually leave the field before she gives up her right to run.

I don’t know why, but I secretly enjoy throwing up the hammer for strike three and then waiting while nobody does anything as the batter slowly goes back to the dugout.

Then I loudly call “The batter is out” and enjoy the WTF looks on everybody’s faces as they realize there was a play to be made.

Jun 12, 2015
As comp pointed out, they were wrong. There has been discussion of changing this in some rule sets, but as of now the batter has to actually leave the field before she gives up her right to run.

I don’t know why, but I secretly enjoy throwing up the hammer for strike three and then waiting while nobody does anything as the batter slowly goes back to the dugout.

Then I loudly call “The batter is out” and enjoy the WTF looks on everybody’s faces as they realize there was a play to be made.

There's nothing more exciting than watching your batter miss strike 3, the catcher has to chase the ball to the backstop, and the batter is too busy being disappointed about the strikeout to realize they could be standing on 1B if they'd only run. Maybe you help them remember next time.

May 29, 2015
I didn’t say it was exciting ... I can be sadistic some times.

You bring up an interesting point ... no, I can’t tell them. I tip it off, but the organizations I work for have not adopted (and even discourage) giving the “safe” signal as NCAA does.

How do I tip it off? If coaches and players pay attention, my strike three call is VERY different ... if the batter is out (no dropped third or first base is occupied) I announce “The batter is out!” If I don’t say that ... she’s not out ... yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28