Vision problems - Lack of Convergence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Convergence can be trained and improved. It is a part of the Vizual Edge program, which was originally developed by an optometrist in my area to help kids with learning disabilities. Along the way he discovered anecdotally that the kids in that program were improving in sports as well, and thought, "Hey, there might be a business here." The company now works with many college and MLB teams. You can learn more about them at https://vizualedge.com/

Nice thing is it's all online, so you can do it anywhere and don't need any special equipment other than the 3D glasses they sell. It works on PCs, laptops, iPads, etc.
Does anyone have any experience with this and know if it actually works as well as vision therapy? My daughter was recently diagnosed with convergence insufficiency and vision therapy is really costly, it will run us a few thousand dollars probably.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Does anyone have any experience with this and know if it actually works as well as vision therapy? My daughter was recently diagnosed with convergence insufficiency and vision therapy is really costly, it will run us a few thousand dollars probably.
I would love to hear more about this as well...individually it's not inexpensive but given everything else that goes into success on the field it may be a good investment. How often do we discuss seeing the ball? Also, has anyone ever suggested a program like this to a college coach/program and if so, how did that go? Seems like quite a few have adopted things like GameSense, Win Reality and others.

Jul 12, 2017
MI
A clinical study called the Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial in 2008 proved that Office-Based Vision Therapy was the best treatment for convergence insufficiency vs. an Office-Based Placebo Therapy, Home-Based Vision Therapy, or Home-Based Therapy along with Computer-Based Therapy.

I would save your money for the Office-Based Vision Therapy as the other treatments-working on your own or computer based-were no better than a placebo (fake therapy).

May 25, 2018
When I originally came across this thread last year, I was curious if my DD suffered from this. After clicking on one of the links above, it directed me to an optometrist near me that tested for it. After meeting with her, she recommended trying contacts before doing therapy. It took a few tries to get the contacts just right but she’s been wearing them every since. In the last 1.5 years she’s went from a girl that was labeled as a pitcher only at 10U and wasn’t allowed to bat on bracket days to a confident hitter who has moved herself up to batting 6th while playing up on a 14B team. While contacts may not be responsible for all of her changes I believe they’ve been the biggest contributor. @ChrisSB not knowing if your DD currently wears glasses or not, but contacts could be an option. I know this doesn’t answer any of the questions about therapy, but I just thought I’d share my DD’s experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 12, 2017
MI
When I originally came across this thread last year, I was curious if my DD suffered from this. After clicking on one of the links above, it directed me to an optometrist near me that tested for it. After meeting with her, she recommended trying contacts before doing therapy. It took a few tries to get the contacts just right but she’s been wearing them every since. In the last 1.5 years she’s went from a girl that was labeled as a pitcher only at 10U and wasn’t allowed to bat on bracket days to a confident hitter who has moved herself up to batting 6th while playing up on a 14B team. While contacts may not be responsible for all of her changes I believe they’ve been the biggest contributor. @ChrisSB not knowing if your DD currently wears glasses or not, but contacts could be an option. I know this doesn’t answer any of the questions about therapy, but I just thought I’d share my DD’s experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love a good optometric success story!

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks for the helpful info. The cost of vision therapy at the initial place we want to was $6000 (cough). Contacts were never mentioned. I just found another office that offers it and they charge about half that. We've got an evaluation there tonight, so I'll ask them about contacts. That convergence insufficiency my daughter has is a result of a concussion she had about a year ago so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Jul 12, 2017
MI
Contact lenses are not a treatment for convergence insufficiency. They are a treatment for nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and eye focusing issues. Vision Therapy is the only effective treatment for convergence insufficiency and it is super helpful in post-concussion vision problems. Yes, depending on the amount of therapy involved in a case, it can be several thousand dollars. It can be a life-changing treatment!
Thanks for the helpful info. The cost of vision therapy at the initial place we want to was $6000 (cough). Contacts were never mentioned. I just found another office that offers it and they charge about half that. We've got an evaluation there tonight, so I'll ask them about contacts. That convergence insufficiency my daughter has is a result of a concussion she had about a year ago so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Bought younger DD a three month subscription. She's roughly two weeks into it and has an annual appointment with her eye Dr on Monday. I have never seen a kid work on hitting as hard as this kid, and she still has timing issues. Hoping we're onto something with this post. Thanks for the info!
How'd this end up going for your daughter @SoGASoftball? My daughter's travel team has a discount deal with them, which I found out about today, so just curious on the benefits. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee