Virtual Pitching Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2019
Please give recommendations for virtual pitching coaches. We’re looking for a great pitching coach for 12U-14U.

Nov 18, 2015
Amanda Scarborough (pitchingangel.com?), or fastpitch foundations.

There's of course the videos in the IR in the Classroom thread - but you've probably seen those, and are looking for an actual PC to work with.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Tincher coach that offered virtual training.

I follow Courtney Hudson on IG - she has a lot of good stuff. Not sure how much aligns with what's usually found on DFP - she seems to emphasize use of the hips to boost speed. (I haven't taken any of her courses, so I could be completely misinterpreting her posts).

Aug 21, 2008
Virtual lessons are difficult. During the lockdowns, I was getting a lot of emails about them, if I was doing them, etc. I wasn't sure how to do them or how others were doing them. I called Amanda (Scarborough) to ask how she was doing it and avoiding the difficulties of virtual lessons, she indicated to me that she has the same issues with them that I was asking about. So I think every online "lesson" you get will only be able to do so much, regardless of who the instructor is.

What I started doing was video analysis instead of a virtual lesson. I'd have people send me videos and I'd watch them, take notes and then make a video back to them with things I saw and corrective measures to be taken. It is still pretty limiting because it's impossible to see the ball rotation, which is the main thing I look at in lessons. The ball spin tells me what is right and wrong in the delivery. But, based off the videos sent, at the very least I can tell them if correct rotation is possible and how to achieve it.

I'm sure you realize there's limitations on what can be done virtually. So, good luck with it.

Sep 10, 2019
OK, maybe I should have stated ”online live lessons.” I may have used the term “virtual” a little too loosely. So far, we’ve had in-person pitching coaches who have had some college pitching experience. We haven’t been able to locate a former pitching star at any level in our area for in-person lessons. So far, I have found sites such as Coachup and FastpitchPower offering live online lessons. I’m looking for feedback on services like these. Has anyone tried them?

Aug 21, 2008
OK, maybe I should have stated ”online live lessons.” I may have used the term “virtual” a little too loosely. So far, we’ve had in-person pitching coaches who have had some college pitching experience. We haven’t been able to locate a former pitching star at any level in our area for in-person lessons. So far, I have found sites such as Coachup and FastpitchPower offering live online lessons. I’m looking for feedback on services like these. Has anyone tried them?
I can't speak to either of these services you mentioned. I'd only tell you to be careful in what they are selling and what they tell you they can do. Live online lessons or video analysis have severe limitations on what they can see, specifically ball rotation. I don't know how many others do things in their lessons but, a huge portion of what I do in mine is based off the ball rotation on each pitch. I'd be curious how these online people deal with issues with seeing if the pitches have correct spin. Yes, I know... people can put a line on the ball or use tape around the ball and that can help. But for me, that's not good enough and I need to see more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22