Vinci Youth Catcher Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
Hello...my 8yr old (9 in Feb) has been using a mizuno power close baseball 31.5 mitt but it is getting increasingly hard for her to keep softballs is the mitt with the smaller pocket. I went ahead and bought her a Vinci fortus but it seems huge and heavy. Every post I have seen seem a to recommend that mitt for her age. She is a lefty which makes finding the right glove a bit harder too. Is the fortus the right size for her age/size? Are there any other options? (Side note: my mother who was a pitcher is very worried that this glove will break my daughter's wrist because of the weight and is convinced it won't fit til highschool)

May 23, 2015
Keeping the glove in her mitt has nothing to do with the size of it. It's how she's receiving the ball. Get her reps and help her with timing. Then reward her with a new mitt

Oct 26, 2019
Most of our 10U catchers use the Mizuno prospect glove - seems to work well and is fit for a smaller hand

Jun 14, 2019
Keeping the glove in her mitt has nothing to do with the size of it. It's how she's receiving the ball. Get her reps and help her with timing. Then reward her with a new mitt
What I meant was that they barely fit in the glove. It is not the fast pitch mizuno but the baseball one not sure if that makes a difference. Even the 11inch softballs are hard to get the glove around.

Oct 26, 2019
If it is a baseball catchers mitt then they are way different than Fastpitch catchers mitts. Fastpitch catchers mitts are closer to a baseball first baseman’s mitt in my opinion

Oct 26, 2019
I actually think at 10U catchers mitts are overrated. Pitchers arent throwing fast enough yet (with some exceptions).

Jun 14, 2019
I actually think at 10U catchers mitts are overrated. Pitchers arent throwing fast enough yet (with some exceptions).
Would you recommend just using a good fielders glove for catching at this age? She also plays some first base but just uses her fielders glove for that.

Oct 26, 2019
Would you recommend just using a good fielders glove for catching at this age? She also plays some first base but just uses her fielders glove for that.
If she is struggling with the catchers mitt or her catching skills aren’t great then yes - I would stick with the fielders glove for now. Linked below is a very affordable but quality catchers mitt for that age that is designed for fastpitch and for younger ages.

May 21, 2014
if it's the 32.5" fortus, then yes that is the correct size for this age. Not letting her get used to using the correct equipment now will just make the change down the road even more difficult . Once that mitt is broken in she should have no problems using it and it will help her be confident, keep her from injury and build strength.

May 28, 2014
Late to the party on this , but the fortus is a ton of glove for that age (even though thats the target market) - it needs to be broken in properly to get good use out of it - however, she is going to get about 3-4 years out of it. Work the pocket, once that is in it will be much easier to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2