Vinci glove treatment for slick palm/pocket area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe Lexol Cleaner (Orange bottle) to remove any excess conditioner and grime and let that dry out? @ANNASDAD for some more expert review?
When I think of a slick palm / pocket area, it’s almost always from the leather being excessively dry, a quick wipe down with conditioner most times takes care of that problem!

I’m not a glove restorer, I never use leather cleaner, I don’t even own any right now. My cleaning consists of being wiped down with a warm / hot damp cloth, letting it dry, then a light wipe down with Lexol or Surf City Voodoo.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Most glove leather has a protective top coating on it, once you break that slick sheen, the balls spin less and sticks in the pocket better. That really doesn’t look like the case here, your pocket looks worn in enough already that the slick sheen is already gone. Must just be that Vinci leather? :p

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
My daughter’s Vinci glove is broken in since late 2018 so that initial leather sheen was gone and it had a great sticky feel but it was dry. So after a hot damp cloth wipe down and air dry it still felt great. But after the Nokona glove conditioner, the palm and fingers are too slick. It’s my error for messing with a good glove to begin with and my daughter pays the price. Sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2014
any petroleum based product can have this effect on leather. I mean, rub it on your hands and what do you get? Feels like you have to wash 4-5 times to get the greasy feeling off.

You can try and clean it (2b wax cleaner or ball players balm or something that is all natural). If it were me, I would clean it and dry it and clean it again. And then the only product I would put on it would be a natural conditioner (same brands). If you want a weather proofer the Obenauf or Pecards is a better option although I would still be leery on a Vinci with it.

My Vinci is useable now but I would never let me kid game it. I also now only use Nokona on the back of the glove or a glove I don't care about. I use Pecards after the above treatments and it works well. Morning after the application you can buff it a little and will really make the glove pop.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
any petroleum based product can have this effect on leather. I mean, rub it on your hands and what do you get? Feels like you have to wash 4-5 times to get the greasy feeling off.

You can try and clean it (2b wax cleaner or ball players balm or something that is all natural). If it were me, I would clean it and dry it and clean it again. And then the only product I would put on it would be a natural conditioner (same brands). If you want a weather proofer the Obenauf or Pecards is a better option although I would still be leery on a Vinci with it.

My Vinci is useable now but I would never let me kid game it. I also now only use Nokona on the back of the glove or a glove I don't care about. I use Pecards after the above treatments and it works well. Morning after the application you can buff it a little and will really make the glove pop.
So you really like the 2b wax, and Ball player's balm? I've never used either before! I know Dan Davis uses both, that's really all the endorsement I need! My problem is there's already so much Lexol and Surf City here at the house, and I really like both of them!

I've never use Obenauf's in the palm / pocket, with it being beeswax I'm pretty sure it would make the OP's glove tacky in the problem area!

Oct 9, 2018
Thanks jmdub, I’ll clean the Vinci with your suggestions and then leave it alone! No more conditioner. How come trying to do good is causing me so much pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2014
So you really like the 2b wax, and Ball player's balm? I've never used either before! I know Dan Davis uses both, that's really all the endorsement I need! My problem is there's already so much Lexol and Surf City here at the house, and I really like both of them!

I've never use Obenauf's in the palm / pocket, with it being beeswax I'm pretty sure it would make the OP's glove tacky in the problem area!

2B wax and cleaner are both really really good. The ball players cleaner looks like it's the same stuff and if you could smell them I'm sure you could pretty quickly tell if they are the same.

What makes the 2B cleaner so great is that it doesn't immediately soak in. Cleaning with lexol and it goes straight into the leather. You can take the 2B and scrub it and wipe it with a damp cloth and the leather isn't drenched.
The conditioner is also really good although I really love the Free the Powder conditioner. All natural....you could eat it. That stuff is my favorite by far. Adds a little tackiness. Does not have an odor like the 2b conditioner does (although my kid loves the smell of the 2b conditioner).

My thing is this, if I am going to put something on a natural product like leather, I want whatever I put on it to be natural and not full of chemicals I can't pronounce. The surf city stuff is alright but how do they make it smell like that? Makes you wonder with all the chemicals in it...

And to the original poster...it may just be the Vinci leather. It's just so odd that you have similar results in the same glove that I had the same issue in. You may never get it all the way where you don't question it. Start saving for that new glove now. Lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812