Vinci glove treatment for slick palm/pocket area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I bought my DD a Vinci PC22 12" custom glove last year and she has been using it for about 15 months and really likes it. But I dont lol. Since she has been using this glove, she has had more balls pop out of the pocket than any glove prior. She says she feels like the palm/pocket feels slick. I tend to agree. I have only used Nokona glove cleaner on it and only very sparingly. I wanted her to try another glove but she loves this damn thing.

Is there any other type of treatment to give it a little tackiness without damaging the glove? it is an all white mitt and I feel like the coloring is what has made it the leather slick but it could be due to they type of leather it is. Most of the color has worn off the palm so I am not sure of that is the cause.

Attachments

• mitt1.jpeg
    mitt1.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 50
  • mitt3.jpeg
    mitt3.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
May 22, 2013
I bought my DD a Vinci PC22 12" custom glove last year and she has been using it for about 15 months and really likes it. But I dont lol. Since she has been using this glove, she has had more balls pop out of the pocket than any glove prior. She says she feels like the palm/pocket feels slick. I tend to agree. I have only used Nokona glove cleaner on it and only very sparingly. I wanted her to try another glove but she loves this damn thing.

Is there any other type of treatment to give it a little tackiness without damaging the glove? it is an all white mitt and I feel like the coloring is what has made it the leather slick but it could be due to they type of leather it is. Most of the color has worn off the palm so I am not sure of that is the cause.
Obenaufs LP at Cabelas. Great stuff leaves a little tackiness. Rick Pauly uses it.

May 21, 2014
2B wax conditioner will leave it a little tacky. Also Free the Powder leather conditioner will (and not have any odor). Both of these are completely all natural. If you are in the market for cleaner the 2Bwax cleaner is outstanding.

I have a Vinci glove and it's exactly as you describe. After wondering what in the world was going on after watching the kid have the ball pop repeatedly, I started playing catch with it and couldn't believe how horrible it was. Either it was a hand stinger and you caught it or the ball popped. So weird. Sad too because it's a great feeling glove in all other aspects. I blamed it on the Pecards (vaseline like) conditioner I used on it early on and that that's what caused the pocket to be like that but maybe not.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
DD had a Fortus prior to this one and never had issues with it. This one just doesn’t seem hold a ball very well.

Ive tried to get her to do TIP but she says its to weird. VERY OCD about how things feel and just in general. Found some Obenaufs locally and will put it on tonight.

Any tips on application? Seems waxy and like it would be slick as well.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Update, just applied a few thin coats with a paper-towel folded up. I can already tell a big difference in texture/tackiness of the leather.

How much and how often are you applying?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Obenauf’s! Im going to do my other gloves as well.

May 22, 2013
My dd has travel and school ball so I apply a thin coat every couple months. Works great against the weather and keeps the glove smelling like honey, no more stinky hands.

Oct 9, 2018
Well, this past weekend I turned my daughter’s Vinci BV1929 with a sticky palm and fingers into a glove with a slick palm and fingers by cleaning it with a damp rag, letting it dry and then applying Nokona glove conditioner. I wish I never touched it. She comes home from practice and mentions some balls squirting out of her glove. I apologized to her. Big time fail on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12