View-Thru Fence Mount for Cameras

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I know that there are several "LynkSpyder" users here as well as the owner, but has anyone used this mount before? Pros and Cons?

The main question would be if it stays put I guess. There's no reason to think that it wouldn't work other than that. It appears to have a single knob to tighten it down. It spans one square opening of fence.

For half the price, it seems a question worth asking.

http://www.view-thru.com/

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
I have never seen this fence mount before but looks nice and compact.

I have a lynkspyder and love it. I use the tool belt to hang the external battery and I think with the 4 "legs" that attach to the fence it's really secure. The only con would be that the view thru seems more compact.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
I have the view-thru. Once you get the hang of putting it on the fence, it becomes very easy to put on and take off. (less than 5 seconds). You can adjust it to slide a phone or GoPro in my case, back and forth, side to side, to get it properly positioned. It does NOT come with any mounts, so you will need a way to attach it to your phone/goPro.

It's much smaller than the lynkspyder, which works great also. If you want an external battery, you will need a seperate "pouch". I don't have one, but saw them used last year at Scenic City, where they are broadcasting the games using the View-thru.

Aug 30, 2014
I have one of these and it works pretty good. It is definitely secure, it won't be falling off if you amount it properly. The only down side is if the fence is bowed out at all (like many are), it tends to point the camera up and you can't get a good view of the filed. Especially if you're using a regular camcorder like I am...the extra weight of the cam tends to point it upwards...dont think this would be a problem with go pro.

I would not recommend this on a non chain link fence...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have a LynkSpyder that I have been using with a GoPro for a while, and it's done the job just fine. However, it's bulkiness was starting to irritate me, and sometimes bowed/tweaked fencing can be challenging. During a recent tournament, another parent set up a GoPro next to mine in a matter of a few seconds with a very compact mount...

The Fence Clip

I got one for myself. I haven't had it out on the field yet, but I really like what I see so far - very well made, compact, light, simple to use.

Jun 12, 2015
I have a LynkSpyder that I have been using with a GoPro for a while, and it's done the job just fine. However, it's bulkiness was starting to irritate me, and sometimes bowed/tweaked fencing can be challenging. During a recent tournament, another parent set up a GoPro next to mine in a matter of a few seconds with a very compact mount...

The Fence Clip

I got one for myself. I haven't had it out on the field yet, but I really like what I see so far - very well made, compact, light, simple to use.

I like the Fence Clip better than the Lynk Sypder if and only if the fence is in really good shape, and it's the thinner chain link. If the fence is warped it's harder to get a good view, and if it's that fat chain link, the Fence Clip grooves are too small for a secure fit. When the fence is right for it, attaching the Fence Clip takes a couple of seconds; it's awesome. I still bring the Lynk Spyder in case there's a problem with the fence though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the Fence Clip better than the Lynk Sypder if and only if the fence is in really good shape, and it's the thinner chain link. If the fence is warped it's harder to get a good view, and if it's that fat chain link, the Fence Clip grooves are too small for a secure fit. When the fence is right for it, attaching the Fence Clip takes a couple of seconds; it's awesome. I still bring the Lynk Spyder in case there's a problem with the fence though.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Jul 17, 2016
Repost from another thread on what I use that was probably less than $10 total for the Chinese selfie stick + tie wraps I already owned. For net fences, I use a $15 Gorilla pod with magnetic feet to stick the camera to the net pole. If you truly want cheap, this is it. And it's take direct head on foul tip shots and held just fine. I do like the look of all these other options, and might upgrade eventually. But right now, I don't see the need.

Not knocking the more professional solutions, but my DIY set up was mainly to see if I'd stick with recording games. It works well enough for me that I haven't even considered buying anything else yet:

I've got a Xiaomi Yi camera that uses the same sensor as the Go Pro's from a couple of years ago. I have multiple fence mounting options, including a gorilla pod magnetic tripod for when the field has cloth nets (can tie around a bleacher rail, or stick to the poll holding the net), and a DIY fence mount made of a $3 Chinese selfie stick, a Go Pro hinge mount, and flexible/shapeable rubber twist ties.

I wrap the top of the selfie stick right below the mount with a 6" flexible tie that ends up shaped like a V with hooks on the ends. The hooks suspend the rig to the fence, allowing you to reach overhead with the selfie stick to get a good height on the fence (8'-10', so over my head) while keeping the camera between the fence links. Then one twist tie secures the selfie stick handle at the bottom so you don't get any movement. It's a cheap and really secure way to mount the camera. It might look sketch, but it works surprisingly well.

Pics I just took. Had to find a fence, ended up at the neighborhood boat lot:
facing_zpscaxk7pvl.jpg

away_zpse3qvcbkf.jpg

close%20up_zpsw4caifii.jpg

rig_zpsf4f3oryd.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478