Videos on proper side-arm technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Hi All,

Got a call from my wife Monday she was concerned my DD's travel coaches weren't teaching side-arm throwing correctly. DD was sick Tuesday so didn't throw at all. Yesterday at my school JH practice my DD was complaining of pain in her fore-arm below the elbow after about 5 warm-up throws. In over 8 years of throwing she has never complained of more than slight soreness.

Not thrilled because between myself and the other two coaches on the JH team we have over 45 years coaching experience. Darn travel coaches don't know what they are doing and my DD is now on the DL for tonight's game and she is my P1 on the school team. She's also the C1 on the school team.

I have no idea what they are doing having a lefty pitcher/1B/OF when they only have 2 pitchers work on side-arm throwing.

Any good videos on good side-arm technique I can show her travel coaches? I know I probably should watch my Howard Kobata DVDs when I have time to look at his techniques.

Does Austin Wasserman have any good videos on sidearm throwing. The closest I could find was:

https://www.highlevelthrowing.com/high-level-throwing-3b-double-play-starts/

I had Austin lined up to come out to work with my DD's travel team on Nov 3rd, but these darn travel coaches thought playing a 6th fall ball tournament was more important than having Austin work with the team.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017
PA
Nate Trosky has some really good throwing stuff, as well. I know I have some of his stuff saved, let me see if I can find it.

TroskyBaseball247 is his YouTube channel.

Jan 22, 2011
Going to get a 2nd opinion, but I talked to the trainer at DD's school today. He said there is no evidence of any ligament damage and as long as she does the stretching exercises he showed her and comes in for treatment during lunch, she should be fine in a day or two. The likely culprit he said was over-emphasis of wrist flicks, which I know her new team has them do during overhand throwing warm-ups and I suspect they emphasized as part of the side-arm throw.

This is 2018, not 2005!

https://www.highlevelthrowing.com/free-wrist-flicks-e-book/

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Why were they teaching side arm throwing? I have to say that other than a 3B charging a do or die play in baseball, I have never had my players throw sidearm. Even with the double play pivots, I haven't taught it.

Jan 22, 2011
Why were they teaching side arm throwing? I have to say that other than a 3B charging a do or die play in baseball, I have never had my players throw sidearm. Even with the double play pivots, I haven't taught it.

Not sure, I've only been to like two practices. I'm coaching my DD's JH School team, then going back to work for ~2 hours while she goes to her club practices on Mondays. It's the same middle infield as her B team last summer. They weren't coached to come forward to play the ball, but let the ball come to them. Now that they are trying to play 14u PGF instead of mostly 12u B ball, the girls are faster, so my assumption is they are trying to make up time by teaching them side-arm throws instead of being aggressive playing the ball.

I have no idea why they are having a lefty Pitcher/1B/RF/C2 practice side-arm throws at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28