Video, Software, and Clocking Devices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
If money was no issue and I want to capture video, edit the video, protect the camera and radar from balls hitting them, track speed/spin with each lesson: What would everyone recommend I purchase?
Then if I have folks that just like to paper chart lessons out by charts and graphs for comparison; Would anyone be willing to share what they use?
Thanks
Todd

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
So, not trying to peddle my wares, but you basically described how we got started. I needed a way to mount a camera behind the fence to record games, so I could score them electronically from the luxury of....well, my home isn't that luxurious, but it is free of crazy team parents. I used a dry erase marker and drew a semi-accurate strike zone on my monitor. I used iScore to score the game which also allowed me to click where the pitch crossed the plate. In the end, I had to write a website to format the data that would display color coded pitches for each player. For instance, blue was a called ball and quite honestly, I have no idea what the rest of the pitches were. But the point is, it did work and we were able to use it to show pitcher and batter statistics. Early on, we used camcorders because we were only focusing on pitcher, batter, and catcher. But as we wanted to capture more information, we moved to the GoPro which would capture the entire field. Fast forward to 2020, the GoPro HERO8 Black is better than any digital camera we had at our disposal then; and we were throwing money at technology like it was the Manhattan project.

pitchlocation.JPG

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What software do you use to edit?
I'm personally a big fan of Adobe Premiere Pro. It is the industry standard for video editing. It has the tools to do what you need and to do so efficiently; specifically the batching of rendering final videos. This is the longest part of the process. Being able to do multiples automatically overnight will help you get a lot more done.

Feb 15, 2017
I'm personally a big fan of Adobe Premiere Pro. It is the industry standard for video editing. It has the tools to do what you need and to do so efficiently; specifically the batching of rendering final videos. This is the longest part of the process. Being able to do multiples automatically overnight will help you get a lot more done.

Ok....rabbit ears up.....I use Adobe Premiere Pro and had ZERO idea about batching multiple rendering. That was always the worst...felt like I have been babying a moonshine still. I’m going to be all over the interwebs learning how to do that.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Ok....rabbit ears up.....I use Adobe Premiere Pro and had ZERO idea about batching multiple rendering. That was always the worst...felt like I have been babying a moonshine still. I’m going to be all over the interwebs learning how to do that.

Media Encoder is what you want to look for. But in short, select your entire timeline and hit Control+M. This will send the items to the media encoder. Set your output information and click the "Queue" button. Do this for all of your projects to render and it will perform them back to back. Here is a pretty good video explaining it in more detail:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Side(-ish) note: The items above are why we recommend Premiere Pro over Elements. Elements is very powerful and much cheaper, but does not have the ability to batch render.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12