video review -

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amy, that is a good variation.

If I get it correctly, the person handing her the balls isn't running after the pitcher to hand her the ball. A pitcher with forward lean will end up stumbling forward every time she throws, so she'll be off balance, and she'll be scrambling to get back to the coach. A good pitcher will throw the ball, and she'll be able to quickly take one or two steps back so she is standing in front of the coach.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2009
excellent info

Excellent info....and yes, anything they download to the iPod they DO watch 24/7 !!!

with the 3 tap drill, on the 3rd time when she throws, should she just step down and throw....or actually utilize her leap and drag...exploding off of her planted/stationary foot. any thoughts on which would be more effective.

her workout with the drills went well today and she is motivated.

also working loosening up her wrist snap/elbow snap..so it was a fun-filled day.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The only way to the 3-pump drill is to bend the right leg and have all the weight over the right leg. If not, she'll look like a rocking horse. So, she should just go ahead and do the leap an drag.

Another pitcher for her to look at is Sarah Pauly. She is also a tall, lanky pitcher. We have a great super slow motion video of her in the thread entitled "pitcher videos".

Ray

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I haven't seen the use of a balance beam mentioned much on this forum. Cheri Kempf advocated using one. I like them and built one for my students. The one thing I would mention is, if you use this tool, be sure the pitcher doesn't get in the habit of landing on the arch of the foot to keep her balance instead of landing of the ball of her foot. Getting them comfortable by taking the ball out of their hand is key to start. Here is clip of Rita Lynn and one of her students using a beam.
YouTube - Balance Beam

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I haven't seen the use of a balance beam mentioned much on this forum. Cheri Kempf advocated using one. I like them and built one for my students. The one thing I would mention is, if you use this tool, be sure the pitcher doesn't get in the habit of landing on the arch of the foot to keep her balance instead of landing of the ball of her foot. Getting them comfortable by taking the ball out of their hand is key to start. Here is clip of Rita Lynn and one of her students using a beam.
YouTube - Balance Beam

I think people make up stuff like this balance beam and have no idea what they are trying to accomplish. Rita shows how she wants the student to drag her right leg. But she shows it facing toward second base. What could be more wrong? Secondly, she says how the beam helps prevent the student from bringing her right leg around like a bowler does, yet when the kid does it she tells her how well she is doing. I am sure a lot of people are wasting a lot of money on teachers who dream up this crazy stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee