Video of 8U daughter bringin' the heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My daughter turns 9 today. Is age 8U. Wanted to share her progress on her birthday. Very pleased and proud of her aggressive aproach at this age. She loves it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlN6dCnmaPA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlN6dCnmaPA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​
Have learned a lot on this site.

May 13, 2008
Wow, that is great for her age! Two things real quick before I go pick up supper; watch the pointing the elbow for the follow-thru and don't let the glove swim out so much. Nip those in the bud early and you'll avoid problems later on.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
THANKS. We are on it...especially that elbow. Many thanks to the folks here...in particular BOARDMEMBER regarding that elbow. Not gonna let this one push and wave like older daughter. We are on it.

May 13, 2008
Cshilt what problems do pointing the elbow at follow thru create? My dd doesn't do it, actually crosses body per Hillhouse. It is what Finch teaches in this video...calling it "hello elbow"

Well, forcing the elbow to follow through in an unnatural position will lead to physical problems later. Equate it to an overhand throw where the follow through is straight down. You wouldn't teach your DD to throw like that, so why do it for the windmill delivery.

Remember, virtually all sport motions go across the body for more strength. Think of a boxer's jab, a quarterback's throwing motion, a golfer's swing; they all follow through to the other side from where they started. Why? It is more powerful.

Finally, notice in Jenny's video where she talks about the "hello elbow" that when she pitches at the end of the video she doesn't do it herself. She may have been taught that as a young pitcher, but it is just not what the high level pitchers do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The pitcher looks excellent for an 9YOA kid--well done.

On the elbow, I will recommend finishing in the "L" if a pitcher is pulling her arm down after she releases the ball. A pitcher has to do something to break the habit of stopping the arm. Then, later it is pretty easy to tell the pitcher, "Don't worry about where the arm goes after release, don't stop it, just throw the ball."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Finch does that because her dad, Doug, teaches it early on. I teach it to the tiny girls (and some of mine are 6 YO.) Generally, the follow through is the least of their problems.

There are dozens of things to learn - such as not leaning forward, that time must be spent on.

I don't expect elementary girls to pitch like Finch. They just need to stay tall and have some success with strikes. We keep it simple.

No, as my own DD progressed she did not point her elbow, but she sort of adapted a natural follow through, as she gained strength and confidence - but that takes a decade.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Yikes, I agree she looks great for that age. Body position is good all the way through the motion. I would have her pitch against her front side a little more, she seems to let some of her power go over her front foot. If she had a little more reverse posture at toe touch that would probably fix that and I am sure she will get more aggressive with her stride as you work with her. I saw that right fielder the third time through the vid. That's what happens when you have a dominate pitcher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse