video database of pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
my instructors, parents, and i have always done extensive video analysis of my pitching mechanics, sometimes using right view pro, but most of the time just using a sony camcorder and breaking down my motion frame by frame. angles we use are from my right side (i am a righty), from the back, and from the front. ideally, there would be a way to shoot directly overhead (bird's eye view). i have alot of problems with the smoothness and alignment of my arm circle, especially in relation to how i open and the timing.

anyway, one of the biggest problems i have, and i suspect that many pitching coaches have as well, is lack of a good database to compare my motion side by side with great pitchers. even when i do get some, often the angles they are shot from are not the same as mine. we tend to shoot straight on, either from the side, front, or back, so that the rubber is at the bottom of the video and the top of my arm circle is at the top. what i am trying to do is to take my motion and see how it differs from theirs. everything from angle of the elbow, to angle the legs and upper body are at wrist snap, to how soon they get open and how long they stay open, etc. i figure if i can find good pitchers and make my mechanics identical to theirs through video review and practice, i stand a good chance of being somewhat as good as them someday.

so i have some dvd's of michele smith, which give excellent shots of her from the side straight on, to the front straight on, and even a few from the back. but is there a place to get other high quality videos of others, other than perhaps buying dvd's of them?

thanks!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

I have found very little high quality video, most of the stuff on the web is not shot at high shutter speed so it is blurry. You will have to search around for some usable stuff. Bill Hillhouse has some video on his website that is useful. Also here is link to another site with a video clips section. The Danielle Henderson video was shot at high speed and is very clear although it was shot in widescreen (16:9) and is posted in regular screen (3:4). Danielle didn't complain, it makes her look especially tall and thin. Go to section on left: Video Clips

http://forums.delphiforums.com/fpanalysis/messages/?msg=409.1

May 12, 2008
thanks mark. what amazes me is all three of those pitchers have such different mechanics, yet all produce excellent results

The function is the same with varying degrees of efficiency. Look for where and how momentum is developed and then transferred. I agree with Hillhouse that Cat has the most efficient mechanics though I think Ueno is right there.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
thank u! i also emailed u a few days ago Mark.

i went to that forum armwhip posted, but i couldnt find any video clips and it also wouldn't let me register! it said i couldn't register at this time!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Go to site and scroll down the menu on the left and you will see a section titled "Analysis of Video Clips". It only lists the most recent posts, if you click on 'messages' in the upper left it will show all the topics listed. After that you will have to investigate the topics one at time. A good place to start is in the topics with 'name' pitchers in the heading.

Suggestion
Look at what they do from the 12 o'clock position thru release. Prior to and after that there are a lot of variations---some have to do with body size, pitching instructor, male vs. female role model, etc.
Get to 12 o'clock in some reasonably effecient fashion and then copy the elite thru release.
Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28