video analysis - How do you do it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have read many articulate posts on the internet by experienced coaches who recommend video analysis, some with side-by-side comparison with MLB swings.

my question is how do you do this? where do I begin? what kind of software do you use (is there special software)?

I know how to videotape on 8mm(digital) and then copy it into my computer (Mac) and save as a quicktime file, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

If it requires me acquiring software I don't currently own, I'm not averse to the idea. My oldest DD is 13 and the youngest is almost 9 so I will have a long time to put it to good use.

thanks!

Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure the tech guru's can help you with a do-it-yourself version, but most swing analysis that I've seen comes from RightView Pro. From what I hear it is very pricey and works for hitting instructors with lots of students.

A viable option is to have someone in your area who has the software to do the swing analysis for you. The $20-$50 is cheap and it breaks down the side by side way more than a regular Joe could.

Just a thought...

May 7, 2008
the bad news

To my knowledge, V1, Motionpro, and RightViewPro require a Windows environment and do not work on a Mac unless you have configured your Mac to also run Windows. That is possible, but is a somewhat expensive add-on if you don't otherwise need Windows for something else. Given the ages of your kids, however, it might be worthwhile.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks everyone, but Flash is right. Everything requires a PC and I have a Mac.
I have an old (133mhz) laptop but that doesn't have enough horsepower. I do have PC in work though, maybe I can figure something out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that you can tell a lot just by reviewing the clips that you have, frame by frame.

I also use a mac and I just print out the frames and review them. I would think that you would be looking for a specific problem based on your DDs success or lack of it.

If you happen to be studying Steve Englishbey, there are a lot of coaches posting there, who will help you.

May 7, 2008
You probably already know it's possible to run Quicktime clips on a frame-by-frame basis by using the arrow keys. You won't be able to do the drawings, etc. that the RVP, etc. software allows, and it will be difficult to run your players next to clips of high level players, but it's still helpful for both coaches and players, even with the relatively slower QT frame speed. Make clips of 3-5 swings per player from batting practice, for example, and go from there.

Don't forget about using clips for defensive skills as well - it will help your visual learners. Even in this day where it seems most every family comes to a tournament armed with digital cameras and camcorders, it's surprising how many younger players have no real idea what they look like in performing some skills.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have worked with both Dartfish and Rightview pro in the past (earlier versions). Dartfish gives you a bit more flexibility but Rightview pro is more sport-specific. I am about to go back to RightView Pro and buy the latest version.

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28