Very limited funds; question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2015
This is my first post to this forum. I am seeking advice. I have two high school daughters that play. One is easily a D1 prospect and the other has D2 ability (but working on dedication) . My problem is not being able pay 2k to 4k a summer for high level travelball or camps that cost $200.00 and up every month to be seen. Their mom will not participate in this activity. Someone bought my 16u a Mako and the 14u currently uses a 4 year old stealth.
Where do families without great disposable income go other than nowhere.

Dec 3, 2008
For equipment, I'd scour this forum and others like it, eBay, and craigslist. If you do attend college softball camps, they'll sometimes have a camp store where they're unloading gear that's a couple years old at a steep discount.

Agree with Lobster on the travel team scholarships. Happens quite a bit.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Very tough question. I would first ask how are their grades? I ask this because if DD#1 does earn a scholarship, most likely it's going to be a partial... so having good grades opens the academic scholarships.

If you can't afford a top named team + Travel, my suggestion would be to get on the best team that you can afford (as LB said you can ask if the teams have scholarships for players), make a quality Skills Video, register in the Clearinghouse (Well you have to anyway..), and start emailing Coaches... Don't believe that if your kid is good enough she will get noticed.... SHE has to work hard to get noticed, many hours on the computer contacting Schools.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
At a minimum she should be playing for the HS team in the spring and on the best rec/tourny team she can find,thus keeping your costs down and still keeping her on the field. Utilize the HS coach/guidance counselor to contact schools and coaches and you/DD will need to work very hard at getting her in front of the coaches and schools she may be interested in. If she is indeed a D1 prospect it will be a difficult road but should get her some notice whether it be from a college or a team that needs a player for showcase tournys..

Dec 19, 2012
We had a young lady pay her enitire fees through fundraisers sponsored by the organization. She sold candy bars, detergent, pizza cards, etc.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Im betting just about every college exposure/A/Gold team is a 501c. With that its easy to get sponsorships and even corporate donations for a player willing to ask. Almost every player in my club has some form of corporate sponsorship-a few even get equipment etc purchased for them.

A D1 and D2 prospect would be able to find a team to help them with this in exchange for such great talent! Congrats :)

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I saved some money by sending my DD with another girl to some tournaments, then returning the favor. Saved both families on the hotel bill and food portions of the trips. Just depends on how comfortable you are with that arrangement. DD and the other girl had played together for years (and still do in college).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse