Velocity is for show but spin is for dough!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
It is that time of the year where there is alot of softball kicking up again. I always have to remind myself how important spins and spots are versus velocity. Yes, we all strive for top velocity and I would never tell anyone not to work on it. BUT don't leave out what IMO is even more important and that is making a batter miss the ball, jamming a batter, etc. etc. There are two jobs a pitch has IMO. 1. To make the batter miss the ball and 2. If they hit it, make sure it isn't a solid hit that will carry the yard and preferably on the ground. Yes, I could name a few more but you get the idea. ;)

There are many ways to do this if you think about it or understand the game. Blowing a fastball by the batter is certainly one of them! But the older they get and you have heard this a million times, the fastball gets blasted no matter how fast you throw it. The key is to spin, spot, and throw to where the batter can't hit it or hit it solidly. That is the art of pitching IMO. Don't lose site of gaining velocity but more importantly, learn how to make a batter miss and speed is just one of many tools that can be used.

I say all this because DD1 learned a very valuable lesson this past summer at an Ole Miss Camp which I posted on before. She spent some one on one time with Kaitlin Lee who was a senior last year. Katilin told my DD that no matter hard she tried she could never hit 60 mph but she could spin the "hell" out of the ball and place it anywhere she wanted and where the batter couldn't hit it. Anyone remember who won the SEC Tournament last year??? Best to all this spring and summer and make em miss!

Rebels win first SEC softball championship

Jan 13, 2017
Well said . I've said it before a 9 pitch 3 out inning is not a perfect inning a perfect inning is a 3 pitch inning. Spin it to win it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812