USSSA vs PGF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I think looking at the competition at each tournament lets you know where the talented teams are playing and you can plan accordingly...as others have said very regional dependent.

Feb 15, 2017
I would like to see something shake things up around here. As I said, USA has been the stronghold ... but the leadership around here is very old-boy network and very old-school. Things are deteriorating rapidly quality-wise. (Bloomington is the only area that seems to be holding on to their quality, but they suffer from the state of everything around them).

We have played in this area a bunch and you nailed it right on - this past summer it really started to show watered down but comparing the tournaments for this fall compared to same point last season - I think it’s going to implode this season.

Facility deterioration and better orgs taking good umpires are certainly two reasons why I think better teams are leaving and being replaced by fewer and poorer quality. USA/ASA was the real deal in the past but unfortunately not anymore. I don’t see the real quality teams/orgs plastic chasing quite so much but rather going Elite Select/PGF/WFC/Top Gun events and traveling a little further. USA state 12u was still a very competitive event with some outstanding teams this past year but I wonder if that holds next season.

It’s all become such a money thing and that kills me but we either beat them or join them. Something for everyone- just have to know how to find it.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I was asked the other day what the differences between USSSA and PGF. I feel PGF is a higher level of play and love the fact that you can not pay to play at "nationals". What are your thoughts?

PGF dominates the Chicago area in terms of the quality of teams playing in PGF tournaments. PGF seems like it is expanding into other regions very quickly.

USSSA is almost entirely B level competition.

ASA/USA is close to going extinct. Every year there are fewer and fewer ASA/USA tournaments in the Chicago area.

IMO the biggest difference between PGF and USSSA is the time limits. USSSA charges just as much for their tournaments and the time limits are usually 70-80 minutes for both pool and bracket games. PGF tournaments have 90 minute pool play games, and bracket games are usually 100 minutes or the entire game.

The gentleman (Dave Betcher) that runs most of the PGF tournaments in this area is very good at what he does.

Dec 11, 2010
IMO the biggest difference between PGF and USSSA is the time limits. USSSA charges just as much for their tournaments and the time limits are usually 70-80 minutes for both pool and bracket games. PGF tournaments have 90 minute pool play games, and bracket games are usually 100 minutes or the entire game.

The length of games is what I notice the most.

USSSA tournaments have the feel of rushing to get games over with. It seems like the tournament rules and officiating is designed to get it over with ASAP.

I did not have any choice but to play USSSA this fall. I really don’t care for it.

Apr 20, 2015
Usssa is good for lower level softball where teams are young or riding one pitcher. PGF is big girl ball with close to full length games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Here in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and southern PA, USSSA is pretty much the only game in town. PGF is non-existent in this area. Seems like you'd have to travel to South Carolina, Georgia, or FL to play in one of their tournaments. As a 14U B team, doesn't make much sense for us. USA softball/ASA has a smaller presence in this area that gets a bit larger the further south you go in eastern VA. If you play in western or southwestern VA, you have smaller orgs like Softball Nation dominating.

Based on what I've seen over the last several years at the 10U, 12U, and now 14U level, I think it is fair to say that there is a lot more "B" teams playing in these tournaments than legit "A" teams. We've definitely run into some killers (the bigger tournaments will sometimes draw them from nearby regions), but mostly it seems that any given team could win any given tournament if they play well and get a couple breaks.

Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Here in Florida, PGF has taken over the highest level tournament scene in just two years - and USSSA has all the next level down (and a lot of the level below that) travel. The directors across the state for these orgs are all top-class and run tremendous tournaments. We also have a few other sanctions that run tournaments of varying competence (Fast Pitch Orlando runs great low-level travel tournaments weekly for example. NSA continues to exist but I am not sure why. ASA/USA softball has all but been wiped out by PGF and can't figure it out).
I agree here. the PGF director here in Florida really stepped up the competition. I really enjoyed seeing the best 14u only tourney or a 12u only tourney compete for prizes like every player gets a ghost and/or 2nd place every gets brand new gloves. I also like the fact the PGF TD is working with the other PGF td in the tri-state to put on some great tourneys. Keep it up!

Sep 10, 2019
I was asked the other day what the differences between USSSA and PGF. I feel PGF is a higher level of play and love the fact that you can not pay to play at "nationals". What are your thoughts?
Wow!!! I watched a few PGF games, and was in awe of their skill level. I thought, this must be the pinnacle of youth softball. If I'm remembering correctly, these players are gathered from all over the nation to form a team and complete with similar team's, which leads me to believe that their resources must be as impressive as the players’ skills.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow!!! I watched a few PGF games, and was in awe of their skill level. I thought, this must be the pinnacle of youth softball. If I'm remembering correctly, these players are gathered from all over the nation to form a team and complete with similar team's, which leads me to believe that their resources must be as impressive as the players’ skills.

Right now, PGF is attracting a lot of the top teams from across the nation.

Generally speaking...14U and younger PGF teams are travel ball teams that draw from their local area. How big "local area" is may vary depending on where they are from, and the amount of quality players available in the area. For example, my DD's 14U team last year was filled with players within about a 50 mile radius of our main practice field. In So Cal, there are dozens of 14U travel teams in the same general area, pulling from the same talent pool, but only the top teams among them will qualify to play PGF Nationals. 16U and older tends to see some players travelling greater distances to play on top-level teams, especially in areas where there aren't a lot of top-level teams.

May 29, 2015
Here is a little different question ... what is PGF’s direction?

You can be the best or you can be the biggest. You can’t do both.

Is PGF focused on maintaining high-level play (more exclusive, fewer teams) or are they trying to expand and focusing more on growing team counts regardless (like USA and USSSA)?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28