USSSA Team Classifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not sure I'm in 100% agreement with their logic. Just because an 11U Open team returns with at least 6 of their players they have to play 12UA the next year? What if they just weren't very good? Now you're forcing them to play in the A division? I think a lot more consideration needs to go into that determination than just how many players are returning. I get there are teams that go trophy hunting and play down, but around here that gets fixed by our state's USSSA director and reclassifies them.

Yeah.

We'd be an A team.

HAHAHAAHAHhahahhaahhahaha

Oct 4, 2018
Our USSSA directors will just move teams as appropriate. If you win a couple of 'B' tourneys, you will be an 'A' team and not allowed in a B bracket the following tournament. It isn't hard - it is not like there is a lot of surprises out there. Any reasonable director knows who the good, bad and average teams are.

We're similar. You win easily a time or two, you're bumped.

Oct 4, 2018
Here in my area we have a few teams notorious for playing B level tourneys where they dominated but were finally forced to move up to A. What they tend to do now (they are 16U) is play USSSA 18U B tourneys (competition is really not that great) or play at a nearby non-sanctioned facility that just holds Open tourneys. You’ll also see guest-players galore there. Just makes you shake your head, especially since you’ll see them post on FB how they dominated the competition. 🙄

I have to bite my tongue on the facebook stuff. I'm glad the girls won, glad they had fun, really glad they love the sport. But the parents... they act like it was the college world series. Some don't even know that probably within 10 miles from them there's a team that would beat them without breaking a sweat.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
IMO there should not be C level tournaments. Make all the C level teams play B. Bump the top 25% of the B teams up to A.

I am honestly not sure we so many people play USSSA tournaments. USSSA has such short time limits that I refuse to play any of their tournaments. Elite Select is a little different.

Jun 8, 2016
I am honestly not sure we so many people play USSSA tournaments. USSSA has such short time limits that I refuse to play any of their tournaments. Elite Select is a little different.
In OK, unless we want to travel out of state every weekend, there isn't much else at 12U and below...Elite Select we need to travel to KS or TX for. The closest PGF tournaments would be in North TX I think, so a 4 hour drive.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Because some girls love the game, but aren't exactly D1 material?

Or they love the game and don't have any interest in playing in college. My DD isn't sure she even wants to go to college. I wasn't sure at 13 either. I guess we're just wasting our money on softball for no reason.

Aug 25, 2019
Or they love the game and don't have any interest in playing in college. My DD isn't sure she even wants to go to college. I wasn't sure at 13 either. I guess we're just wasting our money on softball for no reason.

Right! All I pay is team fees and hitting once a week. All that other money I should be spending on softball I invested in a 529. Yes it would be nice if DD plays in college, but she certainly doesn't need softball to go. She plays because she loves it, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I have to bite my tongue on the facebook stuff. I'm glad the girls won, glad they had fun, really glad they love the sport. But the parents... they act like it was the college world series. Some don't even know that probably within 10 miles from them there's a team that would beat them without breaking a sweat.
Oh no - with one team in particular it’s actually the coach! Puts their stats up, brags about how ”tough” the competition was, how hot or freezing cold it was (like the rest of us didn’t play in the same weather that particular weekend), etc. Some of the parents have actually told me they’re sick of 10-run ruling other teams but they just don’t feel like changing teams. But yes, bite my tongue I must!!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Saw 55mph pitching in 10C this year in KS. DD took one in her arm and went down like a sack of you know what, had a dugout full of 8 and 9 year olds crying. Moved to B, and then 12B in the Fall and haven't seen pitching like that since.

The kid is a special athlete, but the dad having her play C with that talent needs to give his head a good shake.
Back in 10U Summer All Stars there was a kid in that was impossible to hit. The coach was calling pitch and location. It was crazy! It was like the Bugs Bunny cartoon. 1, 2, 3 strikes you're out. 1,2,3 strikes you're out! This team would knock us into the loser's bracket and we would claw our way to the championship game only to get run ruled. Our parents began to cheer when the girls fouled off pitches. 3 tourneys that summer! I asked the coach if would pitch is other pitchers to at least make it interesting. Nope! We later found out that she also played on TB team year round and they didn't lose a game all summer. The pitcher plays for Baylor now!

Aug 2, 2019
I just hope DD keeps playing long enough to play in high school. I’d love to see her play in college, but that most likely isn’t going to happen. I know a nine year old that has her P5 school picked out. Different strokes, different motivations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom