USSSA Team Classifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
this has been my experience as well. not something I like. how are you going to develop girls and get better playing less?
All the C tourneys we played in were three pool and bracket, just like B. Did a couple 6GG as well. C World Series was 4 pool, and double elim bracket. The sandbagging in that one was something to behold. Teams that played B all year and won tournaments in USSSA played in USA at C. They didn't even win. The team that won brought in a guest player that was a pitcher playing up at 12B in Utrip. She was a big girl with three pitches and throwing hard. All to win that 10C chip.

Apr 1, 2017
this has been my experience as well. not something I like. how are you going to develop girls and get better playing less?
I wonder if that is a regional/director thing? Looking at the Illinois list right now and there are a few C tournaments that are 3GG (2 pool and bracket), but most are 4. A couple are even 5GG.

Jul 16, 2018
Your solution fixes absolutely nothing. There should absolutely be C tournaments. Something needs to be done about sandbagging, but that doesn’t mean taking away classifications because the teams don’t register where they should.

In Kansas I heard they are going to make everyone register B, and if you want to play C you have to petition to have your team reclassified. Depending on your rosters experience, they may or may not reclassify.

Can verify - Daughters team is C - two 07's and the rest 08's. I know my daughter didnt play this last year and from USSSA Roster history, neither did the rest of the team save 2 (10 player roster). We finished the fall 2 games above .500 and planning to reclassify in the Spring back to B. Going to be an adjustment but thats what we signed up for. Get better and have fun doing it.

Jul 27, 2015
We stopped playing USSSA once we got to 14U. In our area there are no real "A" teams playing 14U USSSA. I just took a look at the list of 14UA team on USSSA site and most are not very good at all.
"A" teams in our area have moved on to playing PGF qualifiers, memorial day madness in Chambersburg and USA qualifiers.
I heard the Chambersburg tournament is no more.

Jul 27, 2015
We didn't do it last year but it was still on then. They did lose some teams to the Delaware tournament.
May be history?

I heard the organization that ran it folded. Just going off what I read in a Facebook post. I just did an Internet search and see that USSSA has a Memorial Day tournament in Chambersburg now.

Nov 18, 2015
I saw the 10U-B team from Delaware play in a tournament. I question how well I would have fared against their pitcher @ 35'. (There was grumbling by the opposing B-team parents that "she should be playing on an A team".)

Even with a pitcher "only" throwing in the low- to mid-40s, the quality of play (in particular, defensively and bunting ability) by both teams was significantly better than my (and most other) C teams. Very few USSSA "Open" class teams in the area, and only a handful of A teams. We played as a Rec/All-Star team in the summer, and I can tell you that having a C level is very much needed - the skill gap b/w B and C is just too wide.

I'm 99% in the "you don't get better by playing weaker competition" school of thought. But I'm withholding that 1% to argue that getting run-ruled every game (I saw more than 1 game result on the website with score differentials of 20+) would do nothing to improve the level of play (or motivation) in the 10U-C players I know.

If you want to get rid of a "C" class, and keep the competition balanced, you'd probably have to merge the Open, A, and B levels together, start offering 9U/11U/13U/etc. tournaments, and restrict the ability to play up a level to only the truly exceptional players. Maybe this would be possible in a few years if we see a participation "bump" due to the olympics, but at current levels, you'd probably have to consolidate tournaments (and increase travel times) to get 4-8 teams per division.

Mar 20, 2019
I heard the organization that ran it folded. Just going off what I read in a Facebook post. I just did an Internet search and see that USSSA has a Memorial Day tournament in Chambersburg now.
Thought I saw that the guy was moving it to Hagerstown, I know they have a ton of USA tourneys in Hagerstown this summer.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45