USSSA Step back question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Yes thats a step back. Not legal at the higher levels of softball, legal in the sanctions mentioned above so depends on what your goals are....can't say I understand why anyone young wouldn't learn what's legal everywhere. Change is hard and we don't know how good our girls might be or not....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree overall. I think both coach and parent need to have a full understanding for each. And then pitcher needs to have a certain understanding how to pitch under each set of rules. As timing and launch feel changes with each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Thank you, I’ll start working on that, she’s starting her 2nd year of pitching barely.

It’ll work itself out as long as you help your DD understand the rules. They can be confusing and often open for interpretation....as you’ve found.

My DD is starting year 3 of pitching. We started before the rule change (so both feet on the rubber), then transitioned to step back, and now will begin working on start back for a few different reasons.

Good luck on the journey!

Jun 22, 2008
I am hopeful that NCAA will adopt the USA rules.
NCAA does their own thing and every year their rules move further and further away from every other ruleset. There are now far more rules different in NCAA than there are similarities to other rulesets.

Apr 20, 2015
NCAA does their own thing and every year their rules move further and further away from every other ruleset. There are now far more rules different in NCAA than there are similarities to other rulesets.
NCAA now allows start back. Which is why PGF went that way since most of their players are college bound. USA and other sanctions like USSA, NSA, USFA etc still caters to a lot of low level rec style play which is why they allow step back as well trying to make it easier to get a ball over the plate. Teach your kiddo to the highest level of her aspiration because you never know. Mine 2nd is a beginning pitcher 9u and is learning start back and doing just fine.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
NCAA now allows start back. Which is why PGF went that way since most of their players are college bound. USA and other sanctions like USSA, NSA, USFA etc still caters to a lot of low level rec style play which is why they allow step back as well trying to make it easier to get a ball over the plate. Teach your kiddo to the highest level of her aspiration because you never know. Mine 2nd is a beginning pitcher 9u and is learning start back and doing just fine.

Having worked through step back with my DD one of the hiccups is stepping too far back or behind the drive foot. Start back avoids that but still allows all the positives of step back.

In short I agree with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802