USSSA Step back question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2020
My daughter was pitching in a 12U USSSA open tournament last weekend. She worked on adding the step back throughout the winter, following the advice of her pitching coach. Her first pitch of the tournament was called illegal based on the movement of her hands. She struggled to adjust her windup on the mound, so she didn't pitch very long. Our second pitcher was called for the same thing.

I talked to the umpire after the game just to make sure I could help my daughter develop a proper windup. He explained that when using the step back, once your hands come together, you may no longer move backward in any way. For reference, her windup is similar to this explanation video: .

Was this a misreading of the new rule by the ump, or are windups like the one show illegal? It seems to me that if you have to take the step back prior to putting your hands together, pitchers would have to find grips with the ball on their leg. It also seems to reduce the effectiveness of the step if your upper body (hands) have to move together during or after the step back.

Any help is appreciated!

Nov 18, 2015
Here’s the USSSA wording:

6.1.E. The Pitch:

6.1.E.1. The pitch begins and cannot be discontinued when the hands are separated once they have been placed together.

6.1.E.2. Any step back with the non-pivot foot must begin before the start of the pitch (6.1.E.1).

I don’t understand why this is confusing for so many umpires. Maybe it’s hard to adjust after calling it one way for the last X years - but it’s not like a step back was ever allowed, AFAIK, in the women’s game?

Here’s my summary:
1. The pitch begins when you break your hands.
2. You can’t step back once you’ve broke your hands.
3. Solution - Don’t separate your hands until you BEGIN stepping back.

Note - the rule doesn’t say you can’t step back with your hands apart, or that you have to finish your step before starting the pitch - the step back “must begin before” your hands come apart.

What Amanda showed in the video is legal - she started stepping back, then separated her hands, as the rule (but apparently, not your umpire) allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
You had an umpire that is quoting an NFHS rule from like 5 years ago. Every ruleset that allows the step back I am aware of now allows the step back anytime up until the start of the pitch.

Jun 23, 2020
Thanks everyone. We’ll chalk it up to misinformation and hope next tournament is more in line with the (current) rules.
Anyway, it was a good opportunity for my kid to learn to adjust to umpires.

Jun 24, 2019
Sooooo is step back legal on usssa ? Asking cause my daughter was called on it... 10u I’ll try to post a video

Nov 18, 2015
Step back is legal is USSSA. In NCAA it’s “start back”. That’s as far as I’ll go - can’t remember if HS (NFHS) is step back or start back. You’ve got a few years to figure that one out though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
As far as I understand step back is legal for ASA/USA, USSSA, and HS. NCAA is start back.

DD’s process is that both feet start on the rubber with stride foot barely touching at the toe. Hands come together and then she steps back. She pitches out of the glove so her hands never break until she’s moving forward. We’ve not run into any rule issues here (so far).

Jun 24, 2019
Here is the vid, this was last year but still uses same style, sorry don’t mean to hijack threat

Apr 20, 2015
Yes thats a step back. Not legal at the higher levels of softball, legal in the sanctions mentioned above so depends on what your goals are....can't say I understand why anyone young wouldn't learn what's legal everywhere. Change is hard and we don't know how good our girls might be or not....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee