USSSA Post Covid-19 Return-to-play guidelines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
(Everyone, please stay on topic, and the topic is *SOFTBALL*.)

I think people are missing the point about safety. It is not enough to have @texasheat satisfied...you've got to have Sally's mom, the ICU nurse, happy, or Sally ain't playing. And, if Sally ain't playing, or she stops playing, then it is over.

In order to have a single game, you have to have roughly 40 adults (9*2*2 + 4) agree that the conditions are safe...otherwise no game.

To have even a modest tournament of 16 teams, you'll need more than 500 adults to agree that the entire tournament is safe....playing field, toilets hotels, restaurants. If even one pair of parents, or, in some cases, one parent, decides that the tournament isn't safe, then the team is over, and the whole tournament is toast.

The real question is what can the tournament directors do to make the parents feel safe. And, I'm telling, you four porta potties for 50 teams isn't going to do it.

Sluggers, great points.

couple thoughts.

Ultimately isn't it each family and then teams decision on what "feels" safe? They have to decide for themselves based on risk or perceived risk. There are several on this forum, umpires and coaches that appear to have shut things down for the summer. I have no quarrel with them. That is their decision to make in their best interest and I respect that. Others may see the risk and much lower and willing to participate in softball tournaments.

Feeling safe- this says to me optics not actual safety. TD's have to LOOK like they are doing something. Even if the effect is marginal at best. And that also breeds a false sense of security as well.

I've made the statement that if we wait until it's "safe" we won't be doing anything. But we do, individually, decide what our level of risk is and not take unnecessary risks. For some umpiring/playing softball is an unnecessary risk. For others the risk, perceived or real, is not as great for them individually.

And the other part of the USSSA....they are "guidelines" not rules? So some may follow and others won't. Who's gonna tell Bubba to put his facemask on or he's kicked out?

Lots of challenges ahead.

Aug 25, 2019
The only way restrictions will be enforced at tournaments is when someone gets upset and calls the police, and even then they might be enforced. And as for bathrooms, the cleanest thing in there is me, a guy really doesn’t have to touch anything in there (but himself). As for DD, I give her a wipe to clean off the seat, don’t touch anything else.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nice reading discussions on whats going to happen with compliance or not.
_______

Hmmmm kinda a shame to sort through a discussion of how to enforce respect for a little space and hygiene.

Really?!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
Gotta admit, while I was struggling with the thought of not calling any games or watching my daughter and her teammates play this summer, I'm now kinda glad I'm taking a pass on the potential chaotic scene/energy.

Did have a nice day at the field today.
Just me and my daughter.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Are the plate umpires going to 'socially distance'?

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but in my area, Boston and surrounds, most of the umpires are in the high risk pool. So am I, 70 with some immune system irregularities.

Jun 8, 2016

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but in my area, Boston and surrounds, most of the umpires are in the high risk pool. So am I, 70 with some immune system irregularities.
High risk people shouldn't be out and about right now (unless absolutely necessary) and if you are not high risk but have no choice but to be around high risk individuals, you probably shouldn't be out and about either (again unless absolutely necessary...which doesn't include being at a softball tournament..)

Feb 20, 2020
Boston

Arm. I’m from Boston area. All of May canceled. What are umpires feeling if USA softball goes ahead with tourneys in summer. Would there even be enough umpires. I’m assuming there’ll be plenty that will say no thanks

Aug 25, 2019
I’m a 52 yr old umpire in relatively good health here in NY. I’ll work games, but first thing I’ll say to coaches at our 6 foot plate meeting is, if There is any excessive arguing about any call I make from you, I’m not throwing you out, I’m leaving. They need me more than I need them. No need to risk my safety to be verbally harassed. I think there will be enough umps but plenty of single umpire games. Although it probably won’t come to that since I don’t think any games will be played until at least the fall if we are lucky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12