USSSA Illinois

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
My prediction is that the quality won’t improve, blue will make slightly more, and the TD and third party will make even more. Maybe this will swing the balance of power back towards USA and/or non-sanctioned. There are a fair number of extremely well ran/officiated tournaments around that we have participated in over the years but everyone runs for the sanctioned/more expensive.

I have to agree with you about there being any improvement. What the USSSA fails to realize is the pool of available umpires is only so big. All of the TD's and assignors pull from the same pool. USSSA trying to "Centralize" the process will only add another layer of confusion by introducing a 3rd party to the process. In the end I feel it will be detrimental to the overall experience the players have in a USSSA tournament.

Given the current shortage of umpires in softball today, they have the ability to choose where and for whom they want to work for. Adding a centralized 3rd party entity will not motivate them to change how they operate.

In Illinois PGF has become the top choice of sanctioning bodies for many teams to play due to the strength of the PGF Midwest Director. USA softball is a distant 2nd. NSA, USSSA and Game Day are also rans. Because of how well Dave Betcher runs everything for the PGF and how well he treats his umpires, PGF is usually the destination of choice for the better umpires in the state.

I have found most umpires are also fans of the game who would rather work a hotly contested 3-2 game rather than a 19-18 poorly played game.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
I don't see this going over very well in Illinois. USSSA is almost completely B and C level competition in the Chicagoland area. I don't see B and C level teams coughing up an additional $100 per tournament. those teams will go find a different association to play for that is cheaper.

PGF runs the show in Chicago. PGF tournaments are the same price as all the other organizations. So now USSSA is going to charge $650-$700 per tournament and still have 65-70 minute pool play games, and 80 minute bracket play games. I hope no one is willing to pay those prices.

Jul 31, 2019
My prediction is that the quality won’t improve, blue will make slightly more, and the TD and third party will make even more. Maybe this will swing the balance of power back towards USA and/or non-sanctioned. There are a fair number of extremely well ran/officiated tournaments around that we have participated in over the years but everyone runs for the sanctioned/more expensive.
Blue might make a little more, but the TD and/or host will take a big hit.

Jul 31, 2019
I have to agree with you about there being any improvement. What the USSSA fails to realize is the pool of available umpires is only so big. All of the TD's and assignors pull from the same pool. USSSA trying to "Centralize" the process will only add another layer of confusion by introducing a 3rd party to the process. In the end I feel it will be detrimental to the overall experience the players have in a USSSA tournament.

Given the current shortage of umpires in softball today, they have the ability to choose where and for whom they want to work for. Adding a centralized 3rd party entity will not motivate them to change how they operate.

In Illinois PGF has become the top choice of sanctioning bodies for many teams to play due to the strength of the PGF Midwest Director. USA softball is a distant 2nd. NSA, USSSA and Game Day are also rans. Because of how well Dave Betcher runs everything for the PGF and how well he treats his umpires, PGF is usually the destination of choice for the better umpires in the state.

I have found most umpires are also fans of the game who would rather work a hotly contested 3-2 game rather than a 19-18 poorly played game.
I abosolutely agree that Dave does a great job. I have also been very happy with Elite Select and Lorenzo

May 29, 2015
I haven’t received any official replies yet, but after looking at the website for the company USSSA is going to use, I am fairly comfortable in speculating that this is a Chicago-land or North of I-80 deal.

May 29, 2015
Confirmed: it is a northern Illinois thing. Does not apply to central and southern Illinois.

Not sure of the extent up there since I am not familiar with that area.

Apr 1, 2017
The one USSSA tourney we have played every year was posted today. Think it was $570 last season through the website, $520 if you went directly to director. Next summer it is $657, and I’m not seeing a direct discount.

Jul 31, 2019
The one USSSA tourney we have played every year was posted today. Think it was $570 last season through the website, $520 if you went directly to director. Next summer it is $657, and I’m not seeing a direct discount.
Which tourney?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28