USSSA ALL AMERICAN... IS IT WORTH TRYING OUT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It was fun, both DD's made it at 14U when it was held at ESPN Wide World of Sports stadium in 2017. Only one chose to go, the other chose Jen Schro's Catcher camp on the other coast that was held at the same time. Games were ok had a couple hiccups with fields and rain delays. DD got along great with the other players and the college players coaching were excellent. Being selected from those games as a Select 30 and then being invited to those games at LSU (Baton Rouge was fun!) was the best part...the talent level there was what you might expect from the best in the nation at that age.

May 7, 2019
Went a few years ago to see how my 10U DD stacked up against girls across the country. Definitely eye opening! Biggest part of trip was just getting to experience playing on that stage with teammates you basically meet for the first time at your first game. Didn't win a game that week but DD had a blast which for me was worth it. Trip to beach and Disney probably didn't hurt either... lol

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’d love for DD to at least go to a tryout. If nothing else other than to see others her age and how she stacks up. And if she was selected that’d be awesome. This year won’t happen but it’s something I wanted to talk to her about for next year.

Apr 28, 2014
Another cool aspect is that they post results of the tryouts on the USSSA website. If you go to multiple years you can see the progress from year to year. I do think past 14 the kids outgrow the benefit. I've seen 16 year olds go to the top 30. And know a few... not the top 30 in the nation.

Jun 19, 2016
I personally have never done it because my DD has always been too variable. Maybe I will let her do it next time.

My DD just did the great lakes tryout last weekend in Lafayette. It's a good experience to see where you stand against other good talent from other states. There were 15 girls in the 14u division and i thought it was a strong field talent wise. Now it's just the waiting to see if she made it.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210307-145349.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Apr 20, 2015
15 girls in 14u should tell you as the girls get older this is not where most elite teams send their kids. Indiana magic gold and Beverly bandits as 2 of the strongest midwest organizations would have roughly 60 girls in this age group among all of their 14u teams, not to mention all the other strong teams in the area. If you really want to know how your kid stacks up go watch some high level games and see where your kid would fit in, now if you just want to have a cool experience and go to Florida then by all means.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 girls in 14u should tell you as the girls get older this is not where most elite teams send their kids. Indiana magic gold and Beverly bandits as 2 of the strongest midwest organizations would have roughly 60 girls in this age group among all of their 14u teams, not to mention all the other strong teams in the area. If you really want to know how your kid stacks up go watch some high level games and see where your kid would fit in, now if you just want to have a cool experience and go to Florida then by all means.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Totally agree with you. Her team play's the Indiana Magic Gold frequently and they are the best games I get to watch all day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598