Using Balance Beam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
How many pitchers /pitching coaches out there use the balance beam for pitching? In "Balance Beam," I mean a 6 inch wide board with platform elevated off the ground by a few inches. Were using this in our pitching lessons to correct an overstep over the power line, which is one of things my DD is trying to shake. But it also helps the pitcher stay in athletic position, or at least not leaning too much forward or back.

I think its an effective tool to work on some corrections. I read Amanda Scarborough was a big fan of it. I know the local BIG 10 college near us uses it with their pitchers consistently. I guess it works by making the pitcher step in the right spot or where you want them to, or they fall off the balance beam. The only drawback is it is a potential way to twist an ankle. When my DD uses it she does seem to get better 12 to 6 spin as we use a striped ball with it. She starts going slower and at 50% speed, then she works up her speed to 80%. She doesn't have the courage to go 100% on it as that's what she has been recommended to do.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD uses the balance beam during warmups and to work on some of her mechanics.

There is NO WAY she would ever go beyond 50% speed on a beam though. I can't say she even gets past about 25%. And she doesn't go full motion either. That is all just asking for an injury.

Nov 3, 2012

There is NO WAY she would ever go beyond 50% speed on a beam though. I can't say she even gets past about 25%. And she doesn't go full motion either. That is all just asking for an injury.

That's the worry thats in the back of my head. You hit the edge, and you could hurt an ankle.

Oct 1, 2014
USA

Once again Marriard,hits the nail on the head. We've used a balance beam to reinforce certain mechanics also but never even close to 50% speed. BTW - we've also used a Revolution Fit board (Indo Board) for some of drills and getting "into" the legs.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure I would use a balance beam since it sits a good 6" off the floor. Get a 1"x8"x8' from Home Depot and try that.

Feb 15, 2017
Not sure I would use a balance beam since it sits a good 6" off the floor. Get a 1"x8"x8' from Home Depot and try that.

Bingo. Exactly what we use and it works perfectly. Mounted a 2x4 on the end to use as a pitching plate and we go 100%. Gets my DD back in line anytime she starts getting out of whack on her power line or starts throwing the butt out. Seriously one of the best quick fixes (15-25 pitch session) that we have found.

Nov 3, 2012

You're right, it doesn't have to be a gymnastics balance beam. Our pitching coach has one made of 2x4 boards. So its about 4 inches off the ground, and i'm thinking 6 inches wide. Good point, it can be a board an inch off the ground. If you get one too wide, it will giver her to much room and kind of defeats the point. She hasn't gone full speed on it. Maybe well just keep it to some drills. Some people call this a plank and have plank drills. Im using balance beam or plank synomonously here.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2012
https://softballpitchingtools.com/pitching-plank/

Here's something out there as a tool to work on balance, (The three piece Tee Pitching Plank). I wouldn't pay $400 for it but it looks wider than a normal plank. It has the felt on it so they don't slide, and is wider so pitchers can get more aggressive on it. Maybe that's the way to go. Do you guys think something like this would be safer?

May 13, 2021
I built one with an area on the end big enough to pitch off of with a pitching rubber attached, use it quite often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802