Use Leg Muscles! or knee savers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Use Leg Muscles or knee savers?
What's the thoughts here on discuss fastpitch?

Imo
Use Leg Muscles!
( no knee savers)

"We are catchers,
not couchers" :)

Prefer to use and develop leg muscles. Develop healthy habits and mechanics! Without creating lazy legs relying on bulky, added weight pads, that can hinder running and movements.

Strong muscles save our knee's!

Bring on the feedback DFP...

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Knee savers were designed to help MLB catchers who’s knees were already shot. Guys who couldn’t support themselves anymore due to knee pain. The brand name is marketing genius, but there is no proof they save wear and tear on a catchers knees.

If you choose to have your DD wear them, make sure they are on the BOTTOM two straps. Kids who wear them up high are creating a fulcrum that actually pulls the knee apart, which is far more damaging.

Jul 31, 2019
Work leg strength, flexibility, and HIP MOBILITY.

work hip mobility 3-4 times a week and before practice/games etc

Duck walks (in all directions)
Wall sits
Frog jumps
Frog jump with 90 degree rotation
Speed skaters
Box jumps

work both the acceleration and deceleration on the jump movements

stretch at the end to elongate the muscles

In my opinion knee savers can get in the way of footwork. I call them lazy pads

Mar 28, 2020
I know this is old....but instead of starting a new one. I wanted to see if the feeling around Knee Savers are still the same.

I had them on my DD's gear we went to a catcher trainer and the 1st thing he said was take those off.....so we did.....

He stated that using them was worst for her needs as it would put her calf in a position that was awkward for it to extend appropriately

He called the lazy pads too

When is it good to use knee savers? when the knees can't be saved?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I am of the following opinion on knee "savers":
1.) I think they have more potential to damage knees than save. Due to the leverage point, you are placing the knee joint in tension. Which could lead to damage.
2.) They reduce mobility in the block position and exaggerate the issue in #1.
3.) I believe in a full stretching regimen for catchers, in full gear. It is not possible with these pads.

Building up the muscles and muscle memory in the receive and secondary position will eliminate the need for a healthy ballplayer to use these pads. And this development will further help reduce injury down the line.

My catchers (I raised 2) built up an actual enjoyment the squat. They would watch TV in the secondary position. Stand up and walk around during commercials. It became a competition in the house.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As others have said already, Knee Savers aren't necessary and are often used as a crutch not to put the much needed strength and conditioning work in for the position. I work with and train a lot of catchers in my area. The first thing I tell them if they have them on is they need to go. They're awkward when running and will get in the way of proper footwork for snaps and other mechanics/techniques.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When is it good to use knee savers? when the knees can't be saved?
Missed reply to these questions...
When is good time to use them? Save knee's?

*Use our legs from the begining so they dont get to the point the knee's cant be saved!

This topic and mobility are why i use and teach an athletic flat footed crouch.
Feet outside of body.
Knees at least as wide as shoulders. (sometimes farther) No saggy tushie.
Muscles already engaged, balanced and strong ready to go!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Leg muscles not knee savers, for all the reasons listed above. It seems the really young kids get used to these for some reason at like 8 or 10U....when you still see a catcher using them at older ages or higher levels it seems like you will see other flaws in their mechanics or style as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802