USA Fastpitch Rules - Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I agree. Not to mention the fact that if teams aren’t allowed to protest, that only encourages coaches to work over the umpires even harder. A protest over a rule interpretation takes the coach’s heat off of the umpire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I’m going to speculate here: I think one reason many tournaments have removed protests is because the wrong things were being protested. As has been said, a protest is over a rule interpretation ... not that the coach didn’t like the call. This actually may have been done with best intentions (we are going to trust the umpires’ judgment and not even allow coaches to approach us with that protest), but had other consequences.

Reality: tournaments have removed them for the sake of time and logistics. An actual protest means the game continues (no waiting), but could have to be replayed from the protested point. No time to do that in a weekend tournament. An expedient protest would hold the game up while the correct interpretation is verified. It shouldn’t, but it will still hold the game up and set things behind.

May 29, 2015
Testandor, I won’t quote that whole thing since we have taken up a lot of space. I’ll just say you are right ... fundamentally we agree! 🥳

As I said, I’m not calling a strike if the bat is out there and the ball is sailing over/around the catcher and me. But my strike zone is apt to get a little bit bigger for that pitch if you leave the bat out there and the ball is in the same neighborhood. Yes, yes, I am rotten and evil. 😡😉😁

... and for the record, I don’t see this as arguing rules on here. I see it as discussing them and I fully enjoy these lengthy philosophical conversations. Keep doing it! We (umpires, coaches, parents, etc.) only get better by being willing to challenge ourselves.

Jun 7, 2019
... and for the record, I don’t see this as arguing rules on here. I see it as discussing them and I fully enjoy these lengthy philosophical conversations. Keep doing it! We (umpires, coaches, parents, etc.) only get better by being willing to challenge ourselves.

I don't see it as arguing either! I just like discussing fast pitch. Maybe someone could start a forum with that in mind. 😁 Enjoyed the discussion!

Jun 4, 2019
I’m not sure what the debate is here, I’ve never seen someone hold a bat out of the strike zone and leave it there and have it be called a ball. Learning to pull the bat back is part of learning to bunt.

May 29, 2015
The actual rule in USA Softball states that the batter can leave the bat out over the plate and it is not an attempted bunt unless she/he actually makes a movement at the ball.

Rules Supplement
10.) CHECK SWING/BUNT STRIKE
On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate and the pitched ball is out of the strike zone, a ball should be called unless the batter moves the bat towards the ball.

No, it doesn’t make any sense. :) IMO, putting the bat out there is a move towards the ball.

Did we ever figure out what the OP was up to?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Reality: tournaments have removed them for the sake of time and logistics. An actual protest means the game continues (no waiting), but could have to be replayed from the protested point. No time to do that in a weekend tournament. An expedient protest would hold the game up while the correct interpretation is verified. It shouldn’t, but it will still hold the game up and set things behind.

Simply not true if the hosting organization knows what they are doing. IMO, this argument is an excuse to justify their laziness in providing the service for which the teams paid.

May 29, 2015
I agree with the “IF” they knew what they we doing, and that is a BIG if.

I definitely agree with the laziness — we just said it different ways.

May 15, 2011
Traveling to Myrtle Beach for a Triple Crown event. Does anyone have knowledge if two specific rules appear in the USA Rulebook.

1. Verbal Obstruction.

2. Bunt rule: Can a batter hold out the bat in attepmt to bunt. If the pitch is a ball and she does not attempt at it, is it a ball.

Thank you in advance for your help.
USA obstruction defined as impedes progress of runner. Sounds physical to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802