Uppercut Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote from Mark H:
If you continue to read over there I suggest paying special attention to what Boardmember posts.

I've been reading his post. He and O'Leary do a really good job of using their software to isolate movements in the swing, similar to Mankin and others. It's very valuable information. I've known about O'Leary's website long before posting on here.

The trick is determining which movements in the swing are technique and need to be taught, and which movements aren't part of technique and don't need to be taught. Once the the red, green, yellow and blue lines are placed on the video to isolate a movement, the data needs to be correctly interpreted.

When I first came to this board I found it very hard to believe that two people could look at the same video clip and arrive at two different conclusions. Now I understand why. It's very easy to isolate movements on these video clips and then come up with a plausible explanation as to what the hitter is doing.

For instance, a person can look at a video clip of Pujols and TW; isolate the upper body "tilt" motion when they load, weight shift forward during their stride and finally heel plant; and conclude that they are adjusting "tilt" to location. A person could then take this information and develop an entire swing pattern around this movement.

A second person could look at the same information and conclude that the upper body "tilt" motion is the result of hip and knee flexion from the load, weight shift and heel plant movements performed during the stride. This second person would say that the "tilt" motion is naturally caused by these other movements and should not be taught as part of technique. HYP, wogdoggy, Hiddengem, wrstdude, and others at BBF would fall into this category. Obviously, I also fall into this category.

Of course the differences in opinion are what makes for a lively discussion and keeps some of us interested and helps some of us learn.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
well-

Good stuff. Golf is even more compicated in my opinion because a much wider variety of patterns/sequences can work for still ball as opposed to the limited reaction time setting for MLB/Williams/Epstein/adjusting contact zone.

One golf approach is The Golf Machine (TGM) by Homer Kelley which is an adequate "blueprint" or "catalog" or "precision terminology" that accounts for a wide variety of successful swing sequences. Homer was a very good engineer.

One interesting thing about using this TGM system as a foundation for analysis is that two entirely different ways of swinging (particularly shorter/less than full swings) can give exactly the same external appearance. In one instance the main sorce of power can be by back arm push applying radial thrust. In the other, the body pivot can assist the lead arm in centrifugal force/pull. In such instances, only the feel of the player can determine which was used in a particular swing.

The primarily push power swing is called "hitting". The primary pull centrifugal force swing is called "swinging" in TGM. It is important to understand both and not mix them up in golf.

Note Williams described the top hand as power hand and the swing as a power push swing, resembling more the "hitting" type of TGM swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee