Uppercut Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2008
Hi All,

I've been reading through all the threads and have learned a great deal. I've been coaching for 5 years but you can always learn more.

I've got a new B team of 12's. Some of the girls have strong swings but tend to uppercut a lot. I'm looking for some drills to get them on the correct swing plane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A great tool for hand path is the Derek Jeter zip line. Have them first hit it stationary and then add the pitch. I also use high tee drills. You may also want to look at the shoulders. Place an emphasis on level shoulders. Hope this helps.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Level shoulders?

A great tool for hand path is the Derek Jeter zip line. Have them first hit it stationary and then add the pitch. I also use high tee drills. You may also want to look at the shoulders. Place an emphasis on level shoulders. Hope this helps.

I agree on the Zip n Hit. I like it as a tool to teach hitters not to get under the ball. But I have to question your statement about level shoulders. Take a look at these clips of hitters from the source Mark H always links to. You won't find a set of level shoulders in the bunch.

The only way to get your shoulders level in the swing is to pull your front shoulder out first. And that's a bad thing.

May 7, 2008
Ken - Zip n Hit

I know what this is, but how do you use it effectively if one is attempting to match the plane of the swing to the plane of the pitch? Thanks.

May 12, 2008
I agree on the Zip n Hit. I like it as a tool to teach hitters not to get under the ball. But I have to question your statement about level shoulders. Take a look at these clips of hitters from the source Mark H always links to..
:)

You won't find a set of level shoulders in the bunch. .

Amen, Amen and Amen. Only time the shoulders ought to stay level through a swing is on a pitch at or just below the shoulders. And if you can't hit that pitch over the light poles...a lot...I suggest not swinging at it. :)

May 12, 2008
Mark,

The first one. Swings up at any pitch. A letter high fastball gets them every time.

Steve

That pic is bat drag, a casting swing. This is often mixed in with using the arms to "go get the ball" rather than adjusting posture to make the arms' job easier and the swing more efficient, repeatable and quick from decision or heel plant to contact. I suggest studying everything on Siggy's analysis page Analysis and then read everything you can get to on the public and free side of englishbeyhitting.com.

May 12, 2008
I always thought this was kind of gimicky but after thinking about it I can see where this could help. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

It can be used very effectively...but...if they stand up and continue to use the arms to get on plane with the zip line, you will have helped them succeed only at a very low level. Which IS something. After all, most aren't aiming for college etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28