Upper Back Soreness

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2017
DFP'ers checking in to see if any of your pitchers have dealt with upper back soreness. I have a ten year old pitcher that started experiencing some upper back pain/soreness the last month. It occurs only when she pitches, and subsides by the following day. Some recent changes have been throwing a rise ball, although not a huge number of pitches, and possibly some recently picked up bad habits mechanics wise (she's 10 and her mechanics go with the ebbs and flows of her feelings). She was evaluated by a physical therapist that didn't seem to concerned with the soreness and advised an exercise routine to strengthen the core and upper back, as well as improve posture. Have any of you had a pitcher that dealt with this type of soreness? Any ideas on what could help?

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Between the scaps? If so, normal. Just building the muscle.

But I have to wonder about teaching a 10 year old to throw a rise, let alone with bad mechanics.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
@BruinCarl - As an experienced youth pitching coach I would love to help you and your daughter resolve her pain issues (at no cost)...

Unfortunately, I have had many new students... who have started private lessons from me... and they had sore backs/necks/shoulders :-(

Most of these pain issues are caused by improper pitching mechanics.

So...

Do you have... or can you film a full-body close-up... slow-motion video from the arm-profile position and from behind her?

Any phone video slow-motion camera will work.

You don't need a catcher... just have her throw into a net/fence while you are filming here.

In order to provide you with the proper adjustment to her body mechanics... I must see these two different video views of your daughter's mechanics.

You can also send me a private message within your account, thanks.

Kent Reed
Founder of FastpitchPros

Nov 8, 2018
Generally speaking. This occurs when the pitcher uses the arm to throw which in turn activates the traps, rhomboids (between shoulders) , deltoids even chest at times. Where as if they are using proper tech, pulling the ball down the back of the circle, using proper IR, and follow thru shouldn’t hurt like that.
When my dd pitches in a game and forces the ball. She hurts. When she relaxes and whips , no pain. At all. Even after 2 games. 160 pitches. No pain. At all.
So. Mechanics are very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478