Update on 16u starting to learn catcher position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Original post : https://www.discussfastpitch.com/th...e-and-thoughts-on-her-catching-catcher.38766/

Update: I got a little machine that throws little golf ball sized balls . I'm using it for practice. I'm trying to improve . I think my stance needs work . What do you guys think?

Video:

Can anyone recommend some drills to help build a better Catcher?

Jun 8, 2016
Nothing to add from a catching perspective but I just wanted to say that your willingness to work hard to achieve a goal, regardless of the final outcome, will serve you well as you move forward in your life. Keep at it!!

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Based on the time you have between balls with that machine you could add in transition work.

If they don't hurt to catch you could so some of that same framing barehand also.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Be aware that your body will react differently to the weight and impact forces of a real softball than it will a lightweight ball like you are using here. Even with the light balls, I'm seeing a significant amount of mitt movement after the catch. What I prefer to see is "squeeze it and freeze it". In other words, hold the position of exactly where you catch it. Right now, it looks like you're stabbing forward at the ball a little too much.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Be aware that your body will react differently to the weight and impact forces of a real softball than it will a lightweight ball like you are using here. Even with the light balls, I'm seeing a significant amount of mitt movement after the catch. What I prefer to see is "squeeze it and freeze it". In other words, hold the position of exactly where you catch it. Right now, it looks like you're stabbing forward at the ball a little too much.

You want to get your hand to where the ball is going to be before it gets there, then receive it with a slight elbow bend. Right now you are reaching out to catch the ball where it is. Let it come to you (receiving).

Great job Maddie !!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
@hannah40133 A tip...The mentality to have for receiving is "keep strikes looking like strikes". Sloppy/weak receiving, where the impact of the ball makes the mitt travel away from the strike zone, can easily make a good pitch look bad. We want to make sure that the good pitches stay looking good with firm receiving technique. One thing I see a lot with newer catchers is attempting to make balls look like strikes by pulling the mitt into the strike zone. Don't do it. You're not fooling anyone, and will more likely irritate the ump, which may cost you the borderline calls. Stick the strikes. Stick the ones on the edges. Let balls be balls.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
@hannah40133 A tip...The mentality to have for receiving is "keep strikes looking like strikes". Sloppy/weak receiving, where the impact of the ball makes the mitt travel away from the strike zone, can easily make a good pitch look bad. We want to make sure that the good pitches stay looking good with firm receiving technique. One thing I see a lot with newer catchers is attempting to make balls look like strikes by pulling the mitt into the strike zone. Don't do it. You're not fooling anyone, and will more likely irritate the ump, which may cost you the borderline calls. Stick the strikes. Stick the ones on the edges. Let balls be balls.

This! Some people will tell you that you need to learn to “frame” the pitch. Like Eric said you don’t need to try and pull every pitch into the strike zone. Instead of “framing” you need to “present”.

On a side note my DD (also named Hannah) started catching the fall before her sophomore year in HS (she is going to be a senior next year). She practiced her butt off all fall and winter. She ended up being the starting catcher that year on a league champ team and caught the league MVP in every inning. That pitcher is now playing D2 collage ball. She was named 1st team all league. She is now the starting catcher on a 18u TB team. So anything is possible if you set your mind to it and work hard. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 3, 2020

Posted a update video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802