Up for some Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2008
Fond du Lac, WI
Hello all,

I am a coach for a small town softball league. I played college ball 4 years ago and I know that things have changed. I live in an area where all the dads teach baseball, elbows up, huge stride etc....

I am used to the trigger foot, squish the bug, lead with the elbow and bring wrist through. If you all could point me in a direction of some good online videos or discussion just so I can make sure that I am keeping up with the times that would be great.

Thank you too all,
Its great to discuss an awesome sport with people who feel the same way.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Bish - google rotational swing. We aren't squishing the bug, anymore - and generally, the elbows are relaxed and "down".

You could study this for years, if you wanted. I am currently in about year 2.

Check discussions on Heybucket.com, Englishbey, and Candrea videos at Sportskool.

I hope a general search helps you find those sites.

Jun 17, 2008
Fond du Lac, WI
Thanks Alot. It looks like what I have been doing I guess I didn't know the proper name. We do keep our elbows down and hands close to the face with a loose grip. I have them no trigger but lift when the pitchers hand is behind her. Have them extend the arms but bring bat head first allowing the hips to come through at or around the same time as the bat. We keep our head focused on the ball and a nice balanced stance when done.

Do I seem to be on the right track with this?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, there is still a lot of info out there on shoulder tilt and trunk tilt and hips first, and then hands.

I study Candrea and Steve Englishbey. The Englishbey DVDs are kind of expensive but contain a lot of information, plus I hear that the author will answer any question that you have.

It just depends on how technical you want to get.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Amy,

How old is that Candrea video on Sportskool? Some of the swing positions modeled by Jung are all wrong. There is one spot where she actually takes a swing and even though it is at regular speed you can see that it is significantly different from what she demonstrates.

May 12, 2008
Bish,

Like this.Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent
Chew through this hundred something clips comparing them to what you believe about the swing and I bet you get both answers and questions. As always, compare anything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world.

May 7, 2008
Gish,

Good for you! Just the fact that you are willing to look beyond your current beliefs puts you light years ahead of many coaches!

Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478