Unprepared Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
imo
In any case its still a control issue if not seeking a coach they can get along with.
Or rather work on getting along with.

What if coach gets sick or cant show up?

That happened already. Myself and another parent stepped up and ran practice at the last minute when he didn’t show. The other parent called in help as well. It’s amazing how much better practice went with three coaches.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That happened already. Myself and another parent stepped up and ran practice at the last minute when he didn’t show. The other parent called in help as well. It’s amazing how much better practice went with three coaches.
Way to go coaches!!!
Amazing how that works out!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like someone needs to organize a Sign Up sheet to have parents split duties. First base coach, dugout kid wrangler, people to help with warmups. If no parents want to step up to be an official AC, then the burden falls on everyone to help.

ETA: If he's refusing help, that smacks of a control freak. I'd definitely reach out to the head of the org about that.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021
Sounds like someone needs to organize a Sign Up sheet to have parents split duties. First base coach, dugout kid wrangler, people to help with warmups. If no parents want to step up to be an official AC, then the burden falls on everyone to help.

I have offered at least a half dozen times. I used to ask if he needed help before every practice. His answer is always “I think I’m good.” We used an indoor batting cage facility one night that my family has a membership at. I offered him an extra cage and the infield…he turned it down in favor of kids standing around waiting their turn.

It’s not a lack of willingness to help from the parents. It’s a lack of willingness to let us help at the detriment to the girls on the team.

RADcatcher is probably right. It’s a control issue.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I have offered at least a half dozen times. I used to ask if he needed help before every practice. His answer is always “I think I’m good.” We used an indoor batting cage facility one night that my family has a membership at. I offered him an extra cage and the infield…he turned it down in favor of kids standing around waiting their turn.

It’s not a lack of willingness to help from the parents. It’s a lack of willingness to let us help at the detriment to the girls on the team.
Edited my post already. Reach out to the head of the org. Maybe they don't know this is happening, but they need to know. Softball is not a one-man show.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

ETA: If he's refusing help, that smacks of a control freak. I'd definitely reach out to the head of the org about that.
'Sounds like someone needs to organize a sign up sheet and split duties'
Like it!
What if parents just went ahead and did this
(to an extent) that a few parents just 'show up' on the field and say
We're here to help.
Since they actually have already stepped up!

Perhaps with the tagline show us what we need to do in case you're not here again. Hint

Jul 3, 2021
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice and sanity check. I'm going to continue down the path of working through the director of the organization. I doubt anything will come from that, but it's worth a shot before we make the hard decision of finding another team or even opting to continue with our rec team and play a few Spring tournaments. I was hoping to give my daughter a chance to be coached by someone else other than me, so we'll exhaust all possible options to find somewhere she can have fun while also learning and growing within the sport and as part of a team.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming hopefully consisting of significantly less self-inflicted coaching drama. ;)

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
I don’t get it either. If someone offered me help with my rec team I would 100% take it. I have a good team of assistant coaches though, two of which are non-parent coaches and former players - one played at the D3 level on scholarship. I’m extremely lucky in that regards. I just need a few more bownets at RollingHard’s suggestion and we’ll be unstoppable on the rec circuit!

Back to the select team, this is his second season coaching for this organization. I don’t know how well he knows the game. He doesn’t communicate much with the parents and the field we have been using for practice has made it impossible to hear what he’s teaching. There’s a lot of standing around.

The home plate umpire at one of the games yesterday was awesome. A parent questioned what the other team was doing, which was perfectly within the rules. He explained what our pitcher and catcher needed to do to stop it. I walked over and politely let the coach know what the ump told us. He was rude and dismissive and basically said the home plate umpire was wrong. That may be, but that is how the umpire indicated he’s calling the game. He’s also argued with my daughter on the turning left vs right concept when running past first base. I understand why coaches teach turn right…don’t leave it up to the ump to make a judgement call on whether you were taking a step towards second. But I tried to help my daughter actually understand the rules when she asked. She observed a runner a month or so ago turn left when walking back to first and tagged her. I taught her why it wasn’t an out. Needless to say my daughter was upset that this new coach didn’t believe her. I simply advised her that when she puts on her other team uniform she plays by that coaches rules. I’m just a fan sitting on the sideline cheering her on.

His daughter is on the team. I don’t get any impression that he’s not good with the girls outside of maybe not being the best listener. It’s hard though because at 10U there’s a lot of girls competing for your time and attention. Especially when you have no help.
I am learning the hard way too. Good advice is to watch the team practice AND play before making a decision. I made the same mistake. Everyone thinks they are a great coach....most are great people and so so coaches IMO. It is really difficult in my situation when your DD is an average or even below average player....tough to make a really well coached team and/or get lots of playing time. We are at a lower level currently and coaching is not that great either.....but....DD is pitching every weekend, having fun, and competing at an appropriate level.

If your daughter can play at a higher level I might suggest looking for better teacher/coach but definitely do the research. Not easy to find especially at 10U. I would be looking for an experienced coach with an emphasis on development if there are any out there. The coach by himself for more than 2 weeks is a big red flag for me. He should be looking for assistants that can challenge his coaching methods and contribute to the team growth. IDK how you coach a team by yourself.

Good Luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802