Unprepared Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We've lost one player already. Some parents are talking. Others are stuck on the "select" ball status,
'Select' more coaches 😁
Too bad...
Rec ball coach authority gone awry!

Regardless if everyone wants to speak up or not
there is a consequence and everyone will be part of it. Gather those who will speak up and speak loudly. Perhaps since it's a City League speak to the administrators or president because that is a doomsday operation.

Unfortunately it's situations like these that tear apart City leagues. Then people move to travel ball because they can make decisions for themselves and they're not locked into situations like this. Then in travel coaches can do what they want BUT so can families.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just an observation and this doesn't always hold true but it a pretty good indicator.
The more bownets and coaches a team has the better the team. That's what i have noticed.
If you see a team with 5 bownets set up pre game, you might want to throw your number 1 pitcher.
NOBODY can properly coach a team by themselves.

Jul 3, 2021
'Select' more coaches 😁
Too bad...
Rec ball coach authority gone awry!

Regardless if everyone wants to speak up or not
there is a consequence and everyone will be part of it. Gather those who will speak up and speak loudly. Perhaps since it's a City League speak to the administrators or president because that is a doomsday operation.

Unfortunately it's situations like these that tear apart City leagues. Then people move to travel ball because they can make decisions for themselves and they're not locked into situations like this. Then in travel coaches can do what they want BUT so can families.
This team cost $750 (not including uniforms) and is part of a 13 or 16 team travel ball organization. I realize that cost is low compared to many select teams, but I still expected we’d get something better than a rec ball coaching experience. The reality is we went backwards. It’s worse.

I only gave about 25% of my attention to the 10U tryouts my daughter was participating in - that was a well intentioned mistake. He had 4 people from the organization helping at tryouts so I mistakenly assumed coaching was covered. What I was paying closer attention to was the 12U tryouts we’ll be going through next year. We’re new to the select ball scene, but what I noticed was a huge step up in skill level and almost 4 times as many players trying out for the team. I’m trying to figure out how one coach putting in minimal effort is going to prepare any of those girls for what they’re going to face next year. Yes, I want my daughter to have fun and make friends…but I’m worried the cost is going to be disappointment when the competition increases next year.

I’m overthinking all of this, but that’s because I feel responsible for the situation my daughter is in. I didn’t do my homework before we committed. I do appreciate all the advice in this thread though. It’s been incredibly helpful!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This team cost $750 (not including uniforms) and is part of a 13 or 16 team travel ball organization. I realize that cost is low compared to many select teams, but I still expected we’d get something better than a rec ball coaching experience. The reality is we went backwards. It’s worse.

I only gave about 25% of my attention to the 10U tryouts my daughter was participating in - that was a well intentioned mistake. What I was paying close attention to was the 12U tryouts we’ll be going through next year. We’re new to the select ball scene, but what I noticed was a huge step up in skill level and almost 4 times as many players trying out for the team. I’m trying to figure out how one coach putting in minimal effort is going to prepare any of those girls for what they’re going to face next year. Yes, I want my daughter to have fun and make friends…but I’m worried the cost is going to be disappointment when the competition increases next year.

I’m overthinking all of this, but that’s because I feel responsible for the situation is in. I didn’t do my homework before we committed. I do appreciate all the advice in this thread though. It’s been incredibly helpful!
Stepping up here on dfp sharing this experience will hopefully help others!

?so is this select team a city league -or- part of an organization with monthly dues?
Select here is rec ball league that has a selected team from rec ball players and is still the city league.

Either way
Its a $750 lesson.
Consider that cheap.

Get what daughter can out of the situation. At minimum Decent practices and game time.
Or
Get out if you see it disintegrating further.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021
Stepping up here on dfp sharing this experience will hopefully help others!

?so is this select team a city league -or- part of an organization?
Select here is rec ball league that has a selected team from rec ball players and is still the city league.

Either way
Its a $750 lesson.
Consider that cheap.

Get what daughter can out of the situation.
Or
Get out.

This is completely unrelated from any of the local city leagues. It’s a travel ball organization that spans two states. I think that’s why I didn’t do the research on the coach. The structure the organization advertised lulled me into assuming all teams were supported the same. You’re right though. It’s a $750 lesson and isn’t a mistake I’ll make again. I guess the bright side is I made this mistake early on and not as she’s getting ready to decide if college ball is something she wants to pursue.

Jun 8, 2016
Odd that he doesn't want any help..wonder if he got burned before by ACs or is he a new coach?Does he actually know the game and how does he treat the girls?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is completely unrelated from any of the local city leagues. It’s a travel ball organization that spans two states. I think that’s why I didn’t do the research on the coach. The structure the organization advertised lulled me into assuming all teams were supported the same. You’re right though. It’s a $750 lesson and isn’t a mistake I’ll make again. I guess the bright side is I made this mistake early on and not as she’s getting ready to decide if college ball is something she wants to pursue.
Ohhh org with 'select' as the marketing tool...
urr umm name, excuse me 😎
Gotcha

@pattars post most relevant now.

Hope sunday morning humor is ok

May 17, 2012
You should be complaining to the organization and not the coach in my opinion. For $750 (not including uniforms) they should at least be organized.

It's one thing if he can't get any help but it's another if he is the only coach and is refusing additional help. One coach at each base and one in the dugout (or scorekeeper/coach).

Coaches are just like pitchers. Two is not enough, three is perfect, and four is too many.

Jul 3, 2021
Odd that he doesn't want any help..wonder if he got burned before by ACs or is he a new coach?Does he actually know the game and how does he treat the girls?
I don’t get it either. If someone offered me help with my rec team I would 100% take it. I have a good team of assistant coaches though, two of which are non-parent coaches and former players - one played at the D3 level on scholarship. I’m extremely lucky in that regards. I just need a few more bownets at RollingHard’s suggestion and we’ll be unstoppable on the rec circuit!

Back to the select team, this is his second season coaching for this organization. I don’t know how well he knows the game. He doesn’t communicate much with the parents and the field we have been using for practice has made it impossible to hear what he’s teaching. There’s a lot of standing around.

The home plate umpire at one of the games yesterday was awesome. A parent questioned what the other team was doing, which was perfectly within the rules. He explained what our pitcher and catcher needed to do to stop it. I walked over and politely let the coach know what the ump told us. He was rude and dismissive and basically said the home plate umpire was wrong. That may be, but that is how the umpire indicated he’s calling the game. He’s also argued with my daughter on the turning left vs right concept when running past first base. I understand why coaches teach turn right…don’t leave it up to the ump to make a judgement call on whether you were taking a step towards second. But I tried to help my daughter actually understand the rules when she asked. She observed a runner a month or so ago turn left when walking back to first and tagged her. I taught her why it wasn’t an out. Needless to say my daughter was upset that this new coach didn’t believe her. I simply advised her that when she puts on her other team uniform she plays by that coaches rules. I’m just a fan sitting on the sideline cheering her on.

His daughter is on the team. I don’t get any impression that he’s not good with the girls outside of maybe not being the best listener. It’s hard though because at 10U there’s a lot of girls competing for your time and attention. Especially when you have no help.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
imo
In any case its still a control issue if not seeking a coach they can get along with.
Or rather work on getting along with.

What if coach gets sick or cant show up?

Get what you can out of this.
The alternative is looking into other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog