United States Naval Academy Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I thought I'd throw this out there as a reminder that there are schools with softball that aren't for everyone but some are incredibly passionate about attending.

DD who was a 17' grad wanted to play college ball. She wanted a D1 spot and while offered said spot chose to attend the USNA. They play softball there but it's club. There are several D1 recruited players on her team and they play against teams with D1 caliber players. They are also back to back National Club Champions.

Service Academy's aren't for everyone but for some, they are everything they wanted in a college. On a side note, Army (D1) has started inviting Navy to their fall tournament so for one weekend a year Navy plays D1. Sounds like the CBS start of Army Navy football....lol.

As DD's dad and number 1 fan I also have a role in USNA admissions. I work with perspective Midshipmen, counseling them and helping the with the application process. I'd be happy to answer any questions or direct any interested parties to the proper information. Did you know that everyone that attends a Service Academy goes for free? Currently USNA is ranked No 2 in public schools so you know your DD will be receiving a top notch education.

If you want more info, here are some sites you can visit. You can also post here or private message me with any questions.

For admission info: https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/index.php

Scroll down past the continue button for additional information.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2015
First and foremost thank your DD for her service to her country!

However, my #1 question is WHY doesn't the USNA have a D1 softball team like Army, especially with the USNA goal over the last 20 years to admit more women?

I thought I'd through this out there as a reminder that there are schools with softball that aren't for everyone but some are incredibly passionate about attending.

DD who was a 17' grad wanted to play college ball. She wanted a D1 spot and while offered said spot chose to attend the USNA. They play softball there but it's club. There are several D1 recruited players on her team and they play against teams with D1 caliber players. They are also back to back National Club Champions.

Service Academy's aren't for everyone but for some, they are everything they wanted in a college. On a side note, Army (D1) has started inviting Navy to their fall tournament so for one weekend a year Navy plays D1. Sounds like the CBS start of Army Navy football....lol.

As DD's dad and number 1 fan I also have a role in USNA admissions. I work with perspective Midshipmen, counseling them and helping the with the application process. I'd be happy to answer any questions or direct any interested parties to the proper information. Did you know that everyone that attends a Service Academy goes for free? Currently USNA is ranked No 2 in public schools so you know your DD will be receiving a top notch education.

If you want more info, here are some sites you can visit. You can also post here or private message me with any questions.

For admission info: https://www.usna.edu/Admissions/index.php

Scroll down past the continue button for additional information.

Feb 26, 2018
As a former Marine I'm lowkey trying to push my DD the USNA route. Maybe the prospect of her dad having to salute her and call her ma'am will be appealing after all the workouts, camps, clinics and I've signed her up for haha

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
First and foremost thank your DD for her service to her country!

However, my #1 question is WHY doesn't the USNA have a D1 softball team like Army, especially with the USNA goal over the last 20 years to admit more women?
That's a good question that I don't have a definitive answer. I can tell you the AD replied that they were tight on space for a facility to house a D1 program. I suspect with the push to make football more competitive the $$$ might not be there to begin a capital expansion for SB. All that said, I know there has been more talk this past year about moving SB up. Could be Army is pushing it with the invites to their fall tourney. FWIW, AF is club as well and both schools travel with the football team to compete in the fall.

As for women at USNA, the number is up to 28% and has been trending upwards. I don't know where it will cap out but I expect they have some magic number in mind. As for Varsity sports for women, USNA has 10 vs 17 for men and there are 4 Co-ed sports. It's not like there aren't Varsity sports for women, just not that one SB types want.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think I just found a good field trip possibility for my team. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Navy plays home games in the spring and fall. I'm sure the SB coach would be happy to speak with your team if she knows you are coming. Plus there is lots of interaction between players and supporters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802