Unicorn 🦄/ goat 🐐 bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
The Miken Ultra and Ultra II were both insanely hot. I remember playing slow pitch back in those days and guys that never hit HR in their life were now hitting balls 25' over a 300' fence. Those bats added 50' to a persons swing. That was about the time you started seeing pitchers wearing helmets and chin guards.
I used to play Modified Fastpitch. In spring of 2003 I bought the Ultra II. towards the end of the summer season, I remember hitting a ball to center (no fence) and basically jogging around the bases. Something I could never do. One of my teammates came over to me and said "I've never seen you hit a ball like that before." ha!

First weekend of the fall season, I hit 3 homers in a field I might have hit one in the previous 8 or 9 years. For the rest of the season, every single person on the team used that bat.

That winter the Ultra II was banned and I purchased the Original Freak. I still have it. That bat is hotter than anything made today. Maybe not a huge of a sweet spot. But barrel up a ball!!!!! A Dangerous bat for sure. I sometimes use it to hit fly balls. I think the Freak made it two seasons, maybe 3, and that was banned as well.

The whole set of bat performance testing procedures had to change between that 2003 and ...2012 (or so). I think on more than one occasion.

May 20, 2015
the CF9 -11 was THE 10u, early 12u bat........once you started breaking them, though, you knew a girl was ready to move up to a big girl bat, though, haha

i think at one point every girl in our starting 9 might have had one.......when we started selling them off, i got more money for them used, w/o warranty, on ebay than what they cost me from Core new (pre-Wilson fiasco)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I know you are talking fastpitch bats, but I would LOVE for my DD to swing the original Utra II a few times. That was the hottest thing ever! There is no telling how far some of these fastpitch girls could it a ball with one of those!
The original gray Ultra Maxload was the hottest bat ever made. Thing was insane. Then I would put the og Boombah Cannon in front
of the Ultra2. That Cannon was a bat nobody really knew of and was only allowed in WSA (a one or two year defunct slowpitch assoc.).
I have had offers for my Cannon, just wont sell it.

Nov 4, 2015
The original gray Ultra Maxload was the hottest bat ever made. Thing was insane. Then I would put the og Boombah Cannon in front
of the Ultra2. That Cannon was a bat nobody really knew of and was only allowed in WSA (a one or two year defunct slowpitch assoc.).
I have had offers for my Cannon, just wont sell it.
Never heard of or swung those. But remember going to a big tournament when the ultra II came out and our team going in together to buy 2. We felt like we were in a gun fight with knives until we got the Ultra II. Then we made a ton of outs because we couldn't keep the ball in the park! Thats when everyone started playing with a 5 man infield to try to protect the pitcher.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Never heard of or swung those. But remember going to a big tournament when the ultra II came out and our team going in together to buy 2. We felt like we were in a gun fight with knives until we got the Ultra II. Then we made a ton of outs because we couldn't keep the ball in the park! Thats when everyone started playing with a 5 man infield to try to protect the pitcher.
The Ultra2 came out after the og Ultra was banned. That og was the start

Sep 19, 2018
The Ultra2 came out after the og Ultra was banned. That og was the start
MY understanding (which of course may not be correct), is that the Ultra II was purely a rebalance. Testing procedure at the time was conducted at a specific point (based on the balance).

I can't seem to find where I originally read that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802