Umpiring touching catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
As a 2nd-year HS umpire (but I've done it longer for youth levels), we were/are instructed NEVER to initiate contact with a catcher in their catching position, etc. Just doesn't seem right/no need for it. The only time I'll contact a catcher is in the event a foul ball hits them/ricochets off them and I feel they need a minute to gather themselves. I'll tap their shoulder and say, "Take your time, I've got it" and I'll walk the ball out to the pitcher. Aside from that, the less contact, the better for everyone's sake.

Apr 20, 2015
Had this exact thing at ohio stingrays Showcase tournament this summer in 12u...I guess it never ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2015
The only time an ump has ever touched my daughter was at the JR Sparkler All Star game. It was hilarious though and nothing to get upset about. She was a little thing at the time - not even 5’ and probably about 80 lbs - and she was catching for her 14U team. The coach had NO faith in her and put her at the bottom of the batting line up and waited until the end of the game to let her play catcher. She came out in all her gear and introduced herself to the gentleman behind the plate. First batter gets on on a drag bunt - very fast slapper. Runner tries to steal 2 and DD guns her out from her knees. The ump was banging on her helmet and laughing saying “there is no way I ever imagined that being possible!”. A couple plays later DD tags another runner out at home on a wild pitch she had to chase down. The ump again started patting her on the head and telling her great job. Funny thing is - we keep seeing this same ump every year since and he always recognizes DD - saying “hey - there’s my favorite catcher.” This year DD was playing CF when he umped our game and he asked her after the game during the first bumps “hey - aren’t you my favorite catcher?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2019
I umpire as well as coach, and I never touch a player when I am behind the plate. I make sure I keep a good gap distance much farther than most umpires do for this reason. My approach is to do my job and be respectful of space to the player. I do not need to be so close up on the player to get a call right. I never put myself such position with a player and its not necessary, I do think umpires have their own way of doing things.

May 29, 2015
You make another great point CoachRashadB ...

I do not need to be so close up on the player to get a call right.

Getting closer to a play does not give you a better view (well, getting closer than the bleachers does 😁). Getting closer to the strike zone certainly doesn’t give you a better look.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812