Umpires: Pay Policies?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
For a weekly league where you have the same pool of umpires working regularly, I think the end of the week would be appropriate. Especially if you are talking about multiple locations.

Ideally, the check should be issued by the middle of the next week (that gives the treasurer the weekend and a few days). Personally though, I would suggest saying checks will be issued the Friday of the following week. (If you do that, do NOT make them available early as guys/gals will come to expect getting it early.) Whatever route you chose, be consistent!

I guess I should ask how you are delivering checks, as that has some relevance. Do they pick them up in person? Do you mail them? Do you use any direct deposit or payment app?

If you have a one-time fill-in or out-of-town umpire working, you may want to make an effort to pay him/her at the end of the night.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
For a weekly league where you have the same pool of umpires working regularly, I think the end of the week would be appropriate. Especially if you are talking about multiple locations.

Ideally, the check should be issued by the middle of the next week (that gives the treasurer the weekend and a few days). Personally though, I would suggest saying checks will be issued the Friday of the following week. (If you do that, do NOT make them available early as guys/gals will come to expect getting it early.) Whatever route you chose, be consistent!

I guess I should ask how you are delivering checks, as that has some relevance. Do they pick them up in person? Do you mail them? Do you use any direct deposit or payment app?

If you have a one-time fill-in or out-of-town umpire working, you may want to make an effort to pay him/her at the end of the night.

I was thinking something similar. Ideally, we would get the summary of games worked/umpire the end of the week of games then cut a check early the following week. Our umpire assignor is coming to our board meeting in a couple of weeks so we will get some details nailed down. Including how the checks will be delivered :)

From what I have gathered it has been pretty informal in the past, our assigner is a local guy that just enjoys being involved in the local fastpitch associations so he hasn't been collecting assignor fees or anything. I am hoping to change that so that we can keep him around a bit longer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Any suggestions on how often to pay umpires for weekly league games? We have limited field availability so our softball association and baseball switch off home games each week. We have to supply umpires for our home league games.

Would you suggest paying at the end of that week of home games? I think in the past they have done bi-weekly but I don't think that is appropriate for them to have to wait that long to get paid. On the other hand, our association treasurer can't be at every single game location to cut a check at the end of every night.

Our ump org either pays us via Venmo or cuts us a check at the end of the week. 99% of us get Venmo Sunday night. Orgs are required to pay 2 weeks in advance of games so the umpire org has the money to pay out.

HS we get direct deposit (about 2 weeks) or they will send a check if you insist (about 4 weeks)

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Our ump org either pays us via Venmo or cuts us a check at the end of the week. 99% of us get Venmo Sunday night. Orgs are required to pay 2 weeks in advance of games so the umpire org has the money to pay out.

HS we get direct deposit (about 2 weeks) or they will send a check if you insist (about 4 weeks)

Something like Venmo is what I was going to ask our assignor about. With our location being a bit outside the Twin Cities Metro in MN we are kind of in-between umpire associations so I believe he does more pulling from his own network of umps than from one specific association. If this is actually the case I think Venmo may be the way to go, especially if the umps we get are consistent each week.

May 29, 2015
Word of caution: if you are going to do some form of electronic payment, make it an alternative option to a paper check, not your default. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody is on social media, is tech savvy, or even has a smart phone and/or e-mail address that they use.

They are trying to ram Arbiter down our throats in this area and a lot of folks do not like it.

Paper checks are the norm for schools (given before the game starts), but IHSA is pushing Arbiter.

Our local summer org offers direct deposit or paper checks (every two weeks as mentioned in my OP).

The other nearby org that I work has a paper check waiting after your last game of the weekend. I don’t work their league nights, so I am not sure there.

All other tournaments I have worked have had a check waiting after your last game.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
rec here in north texas is 30 a game sometimes 35 (2 person). solo 40-50 depending on leagues. 1 league i worked did zelle or check every other week. another did pap . 1 association did arbiter and they paid 2x a month. rainouts same if you showed up you were paid if you were scheduled for 2nd game nope. pap games if it started you were paid. nfhs games arbiter and some schools have arbiter pay and some dont but they had 90 days to pay. we run fall hs here and they pay 2x a month and by check. tournament pgf and triple crown-checks on sunday or end of your last game. same rainout procedure. usssa and usa tournaments were pap(pay at the plate). for the most part tournament directors provided water and if we were short umpires like have to work 6 straight they would get you food. hs tournaments usually have food prepared for coaches and umpires by boosters so thats nice. pay for select tournaments was >70 min drop dead $35, 75-80 $40 and 45 for 90 min games

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12