Umpire to Umpire Signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2019
WARNING - This post will be of no interest to any coach or parent. It's got nothing to do with rules, but just about an umpire signal.

As I've said, I know the game from many years of coaching and umpiring, but what I lack somewhat is formal training. Because I coached HS varsity for so many years, I didn't have to attend the required HS umpires meetings every year. In retrospect, I wish I would have. When I came back to umpiring from coaching several years ago, I tried to learn umpire mechanics and signals from the more experienced partners I worked with. But there were always signals that varied from umpire to umpire, and I just ended up mimicking what my partner would do in any particular game. As long as we were on the same page with each other, then we were communicating effectively, although not always correctly.

The signal in question here is when there are two outs. The signal used most often by my partners was the index and middle finger of the right hand tapped on the forearm of the left hand, just above the wrist. Other guys would just put those same two fingers out to the side of their bodies, on about a 45 degree angle up from the ground.

Several weeks ago, I'm working with the assigner for our organization. I've got the plate, runner on 3rd, 2 out. He gives me the sign that's opposite what I expected. In between innings, I ask him about it. He says it's a timing play. You only use that with a runner on 3rd or bases empty. That made no sense to me, so I questioned him at the next half inning break. He explains what a timing play is, I tell him I know what a timing play is, and tell him respectfully that it makes no sense to me. How can there be a timing play with no one on, and ask him how often he sees a play on a batter runner who has reached 1B safely, is then tagged out while advancing to 2nd, and had the runner from 3B not already score. I wasn't challenging him...just looking for an explanation that made sense to me.

The following weekend, I asked 3 other guys who I respect, and they all said the same two things: 1) It's a timing play, and 2) it's only with no one on or just a runner at 3rd. I must have asked 6 or 7 umpires, the last one being the highest ranking. They all repeated the same thing. The best application I can think of for a timing play would be with a runner on 2nd, two out, and the batter gets thrown out trying to stretch their hit into a double. You need to know if the runner scored before the tag was made at 2nd.

Would one of our umpires here please explain what the standard signal for 2 outs is, and if there's an exception for a different signal, what are the circumstances for that secondary "2 out" signal, and what that signal is?

Jun 22, 2008
Wellllll, first off the tapping the wrist with 2 fingers to signal a timing play isn't an official signal it's just something umpires have come up with. And I have no idea what the people you have been talking to are thinking. A timing play would be any situation where you could possibly have a run scoring just before the 3rd out was made. No that cannot happen with no runners on base, is very possible with a runner on third, also somewhat possible with a runner on 2nd and could even happen with a runner on first. So, I think you are getting some bogus information.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
COMP
I think you are getting some bogus information
Yes, sir...I realize that. What I would like is the correct signal. Thank you for letting me know that the wrist tap is not official. Do you or anyone else you respect use it? And second, is it only two fingers that you signal, with no secondary signal under certain circumstances?

Jun 22, 2008
Yes I use it, except when doing a national or something where I'm being evaluated. I also in situations where it might be a timing play and I'm saving off the infield fly I will use 2 fingers to swipe the arm and then tap the wrist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Soooo much to unpack here ...

First, as has been pointed out and as you already knew ... HOW THE HECK DO YOU HAVE A TIMING PLAY WITH NOBODY ON?!?!?!?!

Second, you are more likely to have a timing play with a runner on second than one on third. (Though third is the most recognized.)

Third, do NOT mimic the signal back if you don’t know what it is. Simply ask your partner the next time you can. Giving the signal back indicates you got it, understood it, and you are on the same page.

OK, now to the real question ... official signals ...

Side note: Personally, I think if two umpires are communicating, effectively, it shouldn’t matter. Them communicating and being on the same page is key. I did have a UIC say he gets sick of guys looking like they are directing a plane trying to land, and I can respect that opinion.

So ... my possibly controversial answer ... there are NO sanctioned communication mechanics that I can find in NFHS, USA, or USSSA. I started to answer differently but then went to the books ... no reference to timing plays, plate umpire moving/staying, communicating number of outs, etc. I may be missing something, so please correct me if I am.

So why would a sanction not want you tapping your “watch” to communicate a timing play? It sends the wrong message. I never thought about it until it happened to me a few weeks ago.

Timing play and my partner (PU) tapped, so I (BU) tapped back (my habit is not to initiate, but I will reply to let my partner know I got it). The third base coach then asks me “How much time is left?” I thought it was an odd question in the middle of the inning and told him I didn’t have the timer so I didn’t know. “Oh. Do you two need to get out of here?” I was really confused at this point ... “You’re over there tapping your watch, so I thought we were out of time or you had something else you needed to do.” I laughed ... but he had a point. It doesn’t look good.

Oct 14, 2016
I always read a little more into that signal. Like you said Blue, when I am on the bases, I don't initiate, I mimic to let my partner know I got it.

Here is my read on that signal. I take it as we have a possible scoring attempt before the third non-force out. My partner (the PU) is telling me he is watching for the score before the out, so I can focus primarily on the out in the field. It also reminds me that he will be staying closer to home because of the possible scoring situation. Not needed, but appreciated for my sake.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Only one we use in our area, (Southern Indiana, Western Kentucky,Southern Illinois) is the infield fly signal. All the other one pretty much are ignored. As Man in Blue stated, no sanctions endorse using any, except maybe NCAA. I believe they have a communication for 2 outs.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
For what it's worth, NCAA mechanics teach that we give the "timing play" indicator (two fingers touching the wrist) when there are two outs and runners at second and/or first. The "two out" indicator (both hands at the umpire's side showing two fingers pointing down) happens with two outs and no runners at second or first. So with a runner at third only, it makes no sense to give the timing play signal because she should be able to touch home well before any play takes place to retire another runner.

What is taught under NFHS and USA is that there is no two-out or timing play signal. That's something that associations may adopt, but it's not really in their books.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
CHSUmp97 has it. The OP's umpire buddies are injecting NCAA signals into a HS game. You will not find a "two-out" or "timing" signal in the USA or NFHS umpire manuals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598