Umpire rant, what do you think?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Called safe by umpire. Coach doesn't even go out to ask ump or to ask for help.

Ask for help with what? Unless something was missed (dropped ball, foot off of the base) you cannot protest a judgement call. As a coach you are looking for two things.

1. Something was missed; typically an umpire didn't have full view of a play.
2. A rule was applied (or not applied) properly.

You cannot argue judgement calls, (safe, out, ball, and strike). I wish more coaches and parents understood this.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Later in that inning girl hits a triple and there is an overthrow at home. Pitcher is backing up play and ball rolls in front of other dugout where players come out on field to celebrate scoring a run. Ball is still rolling around and pitcher disappears in a sea of opposing players and one of them bear hugs the pitcher while the 2nd run scores. (bear hug may or may not be on video). Should anything have been called by the umps for most of the team leaving the dugout while ball is still in play?

This is on the coach for not controlling his/her players. The moment the players entered the field of play, the umpire should have killed the ball and returned any runners to the last base at the time of the DB ruling. If the umpire judge the defense was deprived of the possibility of making an out (and it doesn't seem to be the case here), the runner closest to home could be ruled out.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Ask for help with what? Unless something was missed (dropped ball, foot off of the base) you cannot protest a judgement call. As a coach you are looking for two things.

1. Something was missed; typically an umpire didn't have full view of a play.
2. A rule was applied (or not applied) properly.

You cannot argue judgement calls, (safe, out, ball, and strike). I wish more coaches and parents understood this.

I guess my thinking is that our Coach should of went out there just to let him know he blew it. You know, fight for your team........

Jun 22, 2017
Like Gunner said unless it was missed what should coach have done. Gone out and made a fool of himself and freaked out on the umpire for missing a call? Why do parents want us to jump all over umpires for missing a call. Their human, it happens. Really sucks at times but mistakes happen.

I guess I'm not understanding why the team was celebrating scoring a run? Was it the winning run? Walk off style? No reason to let your players on the field if they are not supposed to be.

Apr 11, 2017
First of all, a coach can ask for help respectfully without making a fool of himself or freaking out.

Second, there may be a few reasons to ask for help even if you know the call will not be overturned. If the other ump had a good view of the play and even though he may not overturn the judgement call, he can let the other ump know that he had blown the call. This recognition may result in the next close call going your way to make up for the mistake.

Also, if momentum is starting to slip in a close game, it can get the team fired up knowing the coach is willing to fight for them. It happens in the pros all the time where a coach/manager will argue a call to the point of getting ejected in an attempt to fire up the team to keep fighting for the win.

As far as the players interference, I would agree with MTR's assessment.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Also, if momentum is starting to slip in a close game, it can get the team fired up knowing the coach is willing to fight for them. It happens in the pros all the time where a coach/manager will argue a call to the point of getting ejected in an attempt to fire up the team to keep fighting for the win.

Do you seriously believe that? The team was all sitting around planning to dog it that day and only give 30% and then they saw the coach yell at an ump and decided, "Well I think I'll try to play my best because coach made such a fuss." If that's the case coaches should get ejected at the line-up exchange. Why wait until a close call goes against you. Hell, it may be too late by then.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Depending on the situation, i could do either- leave it alone or talk to the ump.

That said, i had similar but opposite situation happen to a U16 LL team i was coaching and i did neither. A player cleanly beat out a throw to 1B that arrived after she was past the base and the base umpire called her out! We were in a do or die playoff game that was now in the second game of clearly one-sided officiating.

The team (and families) all got fired up by this horrendously bad call and I had had enough and walked off the field. Then with new found motivation, our team pulled off a fantastic comeback and wound up winning that game and the series! This was due in part to league officials getting wind of the officiating so when they showed up, the officiating miraculosly evened out.

My point is that if it wasnt for that bad call, we very likely could’ve/would’ve lost. And i had neither accepted nor argued the call. Unusual circumstance calls for unusual measures and my bag of tricks was empty.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Actually, I speak from experience, so yes I do believe it.

When negative things are happening that are out of your control (such as poor umpiring) it is easy to get discouraged, lose a little focus, lose a little fight or determination- especially at the younger ages. It is psychology 101.

The mental side of softball/baseball is huge and maintaining motivation and the proper mental approach is a large part of coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802