Umpire integrity, Coach integrity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I have been around the softball world for 16 years, either as a coach, league board member, and ocassionally reluctant umpire. I have seen several umpires for over 12 years and they have seen me at the B/C travel level. Now several of them sometimes do my DD's high school games and I ocassionally see an umpire I know at a PGF tournament. Do I get the benefit of the doubt ocassionally on a close call because of my reputation, sometimes. Is it unethical-- no. Also many less experienced coaches don't know how to calmly interact with the umpires on various issues that come up during games.

My favorite rule of thumb I use is "If anyone but the umpire you are asking the question of can hear you, you are asking the question the wrong way"

May 29, 2015
I don’t wear a tie on the field. Gets caught in the catcher’s gear

You’re doing it wrong ...

61vI8BGMFtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Feb 20, 2019
I have been around the softball world for 16 years, either as a coach, league board member, and ocassionally reluctant umpire. I have seen several umpires for over 12 years and they have seen me at the B/C travel level. Now several of them sometimes do my DD's high school games and I ocassionally see an umpire I know at a PGF tournament. Do I get the benefit of the doubt ocassionally on a close call because of my reputation, sometimes. Is it unethical-- no. Also many less experienced coaches don't know how to calmly interact with the umpires on various issues that come up during games.

My favorite rule of thumb I use is "If anyone but the umpire you are asking the question of can hear you, you are asking the question the wrong way"

Good rule of thumb, and applies to more than just talking with the umpire. If you're talking with your assistant coach about one of your players or a play/player on the other team, but careful that parents or opposing coaches aren't listening...not because you're talking negatively but because what you say could be misinterpreted and/or heard of context.

Thanks to all the umpires brave enough to respond.

Since I've asked the questions, I will also respond. As a coach, I have never asked, suggested nor expected to have preferential treatment from an umpire. I don't want it. What I want is a crew that knows the rules, has a consistent strike zone for both teams and calls the game as fairly as possible.

I have had a couple of umpires ask me for clarification of rules (league-specific modified rules) or spend too much time chit-chatting with me at pre game meetings. The perception of the umpire asking me about the rules in front of the other coach makes me a little uncomfortable. I'll generally just shrug my shoulders or ask the other coach what he/she thinks.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Have you ever used your position and/or relationship with an umpire to elicit preferential treatment and/or a ruling that you knew was wrong?

Nope. But it is easier to talk to those I know better. I'm sure I approach them somewhat differently, but I'm never expecting something just because they know me. It's more that I know exactly how to approach that individual.

I'm not going to fight for something if I know it's wrong, and there have been a couple times I gave up because I wasn't 100% sure on the rule. If an umpire wants to think I'm an idiot for questioning something, fine, but if he cares enough to look it up later (it's happened twice; usually they couldn't be bothered to actually find out), I don't want him to confirm that suspicion.

For what it's worth, I can only think of one time where I was absolutely certain the umpire was giving preferential treatment, and it's because he told me what he was going to do and then did it. Oh, and that one time when I was 8 and the dad of a kid on the other team umped a championship game and he may as well have gone up and taken some swings for the other team he was so biased. But that guy wasn't a "real" umpire, and the league never should've allowed that situation to happen.

Apr 20, 2015
We've played 3 tournaments so far this year. PGF in 3 different parts of the country. Over all our umpires have been really good. Have I agreed with every call no. Do I think they missed some things yes, but they are human just like our kids make errors they won't be perfect. They have been engaged, personable and obviously trying to do a great job so I have no complaints. Keep doing what you do. I have a lot of umpiring/referree experience in my family as well as my own personal experience when I was younger and it is definitely a thankless job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2