Umpire has the count wrong, then what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
I certainly prefer to signal the count (and when coaching to have it signaled) every pitch. It doesn't slow anything down, hurts no one, and brings any error to light more quickly. Just don't see a reason not to. Even if it isn't specifically necessary on 2-1 what does it hurt? Maybe not verbally until the next pitch could result in a walk or strikeout. I would say only about 25% of our umps signal the count every pitch though.

May 29, 2015
Unless I have an "interruption", I never give the count when it's 2-1, precisely because of the reason you just gave - I'll be giving it again on the next pitch when we'll reach either ball 3 or strike 2.

I admit I’ve gone back and forth on that. I know it is “just one more pitch” to reach that “jeopardy” point ... 4 pitches just feels like a long time to go. :) Maybe I should drop to 2 pitches instead of 3, but that feels so soon.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
This play explains why umpires are trained to give and show every pitch count after 3 balls and / or 2 strikes until the completion of the bat. Everyone needs to know the proper pitch count. If there is any problem with the count, time is to be called to correct the count, prior to the next pitch. Waiting until after the next pitch has been thrown to correct the count from a previous pitch count will not work in my games.

Jun 22, 2008
This play explains why umpires are trained to give and show every pitch count after 3 balls and / or 2 strikes until the completion of the bat. Everyone needs to know the proper pitch count. If there is any problem with the count, time is to be called to correct the count, prior to the next pitch. Waiting until after the next pitch has been thrown to correct the count from a previous pitch count will not work in my games.

"Your games", so the rules be damned????? Im pretty sure case plays have been posted in this thread that indicate the count can be corrected up until a pitch to the next batter. So you don't care what the actual rule is, you are going to keep the wrong count even if brought to your attention because another pitch has been thrown?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Show that rule to me in the NFHS rule book.

I am sure there are other relevant rules other may find; but the below are enough for me to show I can fix the count before the next batter takes a pitch - not the next pitch to a batter. Having the count wrong is also clearly a case where my decision, mistake with tracking the count or simply a misapplication of the rule if you want to consider it that has put one of the teams in jeopardy.

10-2-1-1 . . . If there are two (or more) umpires, the plate umpire shall stand behind the catcher, call and count balls and strikes, signal each fair hit and call out "foul ball" while signaling each foul hit and make all decisions on the batter. The plate umpire shall make all decisions except those commonly reserved for the field umpire.

10-2-3-i: NOTE: If there is a question about a rule that was possibly misapplied, the team's coach or captain shall inform the umpire at the time of the play and before a pitch to the next batter of the team currently at bat or before the first batter for the team that was on defense, if the teams have changed positions; or before the umpires leave the field, if the play in question was the last play of the game.

10-2-3-m: rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision that was reversed has placed either team in jeopardy.

As far as I can tell, the rulebook assumes I have the count right at all times. Can show me a rule which says I need to fix the count before the next pitch or what I have stands no matter how wrong I am?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Show that rule to me in the NFHS rule book.

Show me what rule says you can't correct the count after another pitch to the same batter. It's the umpires screw up, fix it.

If you are attempting to use the note under 10-2-i about if a rule has been misapplied it must be brought to the umpires attention at the time of the play and before the next pitch then you may want to read what the definition of a play is. No rule has been misapplied, the umpire has simply screwed up and lost the count. And a pitch is not a play, so there is nothing requiring it to be brought tot he umpires attention prior to the next pitch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps the first and last sentences in the book
"How to be an umpire"
Should be,
"Remember you are only human"

24 years catching...
For all the times an umpire commented missing calling a ball or strike. Was a notation to me they do have a strike zone their 'trying to' adhere to. Appreciated them acknowledging!

Toward original post...
People handle failure in different way's. Some never ask for directions even though their lost.

Has nothing to do with the title
Umpire.
Has everything to do with the person.

Jun 13, 2018

So you just let your error live on?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2