Umpire Guidelines for Covid Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I was on a zoom meeting last night with our TD and the most interesting thing I found as an umpire is that we will have to stand 6 feet behind the catcher. There was talk about standing behind the pitcher, but that could be dangerous to the umpire that is not too mobile. Then again, standing 6 feet behind catcher means not only we will not see the whole of the plate, but also be more vulnerable to foul balls. Has any other umpire heard about this?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I have to think standing behind the pitcher is better than 6 ft behind the catcher. I'd think the catcher will block the whole view of the plate. It almost seems like standing back six feet and then three feet to the side would create a better view. You'd get beat to hell by foul balls, but could see the plate. It'll be interesting.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I was on a zoom meeting last night with our TD and the most interesting thing I found as an umpire is that we will have to stand 6 feet behind the catcher. There was talk about standing behind the pitcher, but that could be dangerous to the umpire that is not too mobile. Then again, standing 6 feet behind catcher means not only we will not see the whole of the plate, but also be more vulnerable to foul balls. Has any other umpire heard about this?
You would be better off standing behind 2nd base in shallow CF.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I have to think standing behind the pitcher is better than 6 ft behind the catcher. I'd think the catcher will block the whole view of the plate. It almost seems like standing back six feet and then three feet to the side would create a better view. You'd get beat to hell by foul balls, but could see the plate. It'll be interesting.
I doubt an average height ump would not be able to see any of the strike zone.

Feb 15, 2017
(FACEPALM) so...a question for blue, since obviously this will be a tough task, close ones go to the pitcher or the hitter? Id think calling anything with movement from that far back is going to be really dang tough. Hopefully the catcher will be allowed to stay why they normally setup otherwise we may just not play usssa.

May 17, 2017
Watching Korean baseball the umpires are behind the catcher wearing face masks under there umpire masks. I don't see why this could not work for fastpitch softbal. JMO

Feb 15, 2017
No way would I ask blue to do that. Not safe in the heat etc. My team will not play under those conditions. If we were talking late winter ball or early spring it might not be too bad but no way in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28