Umpire Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2016
Since I’ve started visiting this forum I haven’t added any money to my savings account!

Thanks for the great information!

May 29, 2015
Looks like @The Man In Blue and I are pretty close to agreement which is good.

I forgot one thing - a bag to hang on the fence/net and keep water, sunscreen, your spare indicator & pens, keys, wallet, and something to keep your energy up (I like oranges). I have a small igloo backpack which is really good for this.

Now that is an interesting one ... around here that would be a pretty significant faux pas. :eek: The only detached thing that should be going to the field with you is a water bottle that can be attached to the fence (preferably out of play).

I would assume that is advice for a multi-game tournament where they aren’t providing you with any facilities. Those are actually rare around here; most places provide a separate umpire “locker room” which ranges from an actual indoor area with air conditioning and a shower to a simple pop up tent or blocked off area. It’s a place to keep your stuff, change, catch a break etc. At minimum there is iced down water, though usually there are snacks and other drinks. Some places provide actual food (not from the concession stand).

Having said that, I never go to a new place expecting any of that. Always plan on bringing your own stuff and working from your car. Be pleasantly surprised and grateful when that is not the case!

Now, baseball tournaments around here have an entirely different culture: totally fend for yourself.

You did hit on an important one I forgot, @marriard — SUNSCREEN!!!!!

@PAhusker — what org(s) will you be working? What time of year? Just weeknight games, or long weekend tournaments also?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Now that is an interesting one ... around here that would be a pretty significant faux pas. :eek: The only detached thing that should be going to the field with you is a water bottle that can be attached to the fence (preferably out of play).

I would assume that is advice for a multi-game tournament where they aren’t providing you with any facilities.

In Florida it is regularly 100+ degrees or massively humid - often both - so we get some leeway. I am not keeling over with heat exhaustion or low-sugar/blood pressure or any other thing if I can avoid it. There are a few places here that provide an umpire room, but mostly not and with the tournament looking to keep things moving along there really isn't a lot of time to go there between games.

Yes - if it is just a single game and nice out, there is a large gap between games in a double header or it is a college game I may bring less out to the field or work out of the back of the car. But even then, since my stuff is all in my game I often just bring it out.

We actually had a discussion this weekend on why we are made to do games all day in the heat wearing long trousers and a hat while wearing layers of clothing and equipment. It makes no sense.

Interestingly enough, when I upgraded my chest protector I went to the Schutt/Adams one @The Man In Blue suggested. It breathes well and the hard shell is better for the older ages.

May 29, 2015
I still need to actually try the Schutt in the heat (admitting that ashamedly). I bought one and used it for a few spring games before my son commandeered it. 😁

Illinois summer heat can be bad and it has started to affect me a little more each year. I agree with you on the layers of equipment and clothes. Not sure I could convince myself to wear shorts though ... just looks wrong. I might be able to convince myself to wear a nice visor instead of a full hat though.

Some of the answer lies in better made clothing for officials, and we are starting to see that come around. I like the new USA Softball shirts, very lightweight and actually rather durable. I found a pair of inexpensive heather grey golf pants (very lightweight) at Walmart last year, and I’ll admit I wore them on the bases all last summer. I’m not sure they would be durable enough on the plate though, and that’s where they are most needed.

At lest in Florida you know you have to fight the heat. In Illinois, it can be anywhere in between the arctic cold and desert heat! Unofficially, I think my personal “game temp range” has been from the high 20s to the low 110s. Yes, I have umpired in snow. 🥶

Jun 24, 2016
The local league uses USA rules and if I do any tournaments they would be USSSA. I’m in the northern suburbs of Philly. Most likely just night games from April to June but maybe some Saturday or Sunday scrimmages as well. I know the assigner for the rec games and I do not have to be “officially” dressed in USSSA or USA gear. I can wear any of the plain light blue, dark blue, or black umpire polos.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
yep good ideas and agree with these guys. a site i use is ump-attire.com they give you free shipping over 129. they have bundle packages as well. i use the new balance plate shoes i didn't like the 3n2. i wore basic all black shoes for awhile. nike then added nb base shoes. i have diamond ix3 gear now and love it but pricier and they have a selection of indicators and accessories to choose from.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
The local league uses USA rules and if I do any tournaments they would be USSSA. I’m in the northern suburbs of Philly. Most likely just night games from April to June but maybe some Saturday or Sunday scrimmages as well. I know the assigner for the rec games and I do not have to be “officially” dressed in USSSA or USA gear. I can wear any of the plain light blue, dark blue, or black umpire polos.
you can get those plain uniforms at dicks or academy or whatever you have there for 20-25

Aug 30, 2015
Can't believe no one has mentioned the most important piece of equipment.

The cup.

Nutty Buddy https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball...ers-Cups/NB-FLEX_NuttyBuddy-Flex-Athletic-Cup

or Diamond MMA https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Supporters-Cups/STS-CUP_Diamond-MMA-High-Performance-Athletic-Cup are the two I've used. I prefer the MMA. If you choose this cup you MUST buy the matching supporter so it fits and stays properly. Taken multiple shots with this cup and has never phased me.

Nov 18, 2015
The Force 3 Defender mask was, IIRC, initially marketed to umpires. Similar to the Wilson Shock FX (sp?) - it's got springs. Comes in both mask-only and hockey style. Several good reviews from umpires. I have the mask, but have sadly only been able to use it to catch a very limited number of games since I bought it, so my foul-tip sample size can be considered "statistically insignificant". Tyler Flowers uses it in the MLB. I think the price is around $130-150 for the mask, $200 for the full helmet.

Aug 25, 2019
Thanks for the tip on the umpire book Marriad, That's what I need. and as for shin guards, when you order them I'm sure they mention how to measure your leg for the proper fit. And yes, the cup!.......As for rule books, as in hand books, there really aren't any new one. ( I just asked this question in the rules section) You'll have to download 85 plus pages and carry them around in a binder.

Welcome to the ranks of the unappreciated!......You'll have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom