Umpire Flirting With Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While Blues should keep comments about the game.
And limited at that.
Does happen some Blues cross that line.
Even an 'inappropriate' line.
When that happens,
How should a player/coach handle such a predicament?
Would this be an in the moment
'inappropriate' not ok blue?!!!
By the player/coach?!!!
Is this directly after the game?
Seems of course could write some written complaint letter.
However, this is a person to person topic, that maybe
(Just MAYBE) a player might want to speak up more immediately to say
inappropriate!

Advice & Thoughts on this

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
Inappropriate at all times and should be reported at least to the UIC/TD. If youth sports, report to authorities.
Adult sports, well, not illegal, just unprofessional and inappropriate if it occurs in game. At the bar afterwards, that's a different story.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
And limited at that.

No different than any other major issue; immediate report to UIC/TD or if at a single game where there is not a UIC/TD immediate report to their assignor/league.

And I would expect it to be addressed seriously. Follow up to make sure it is.

Jul 5, 2016
If you address the behavior during the game, you need to be ready to escalate to the highest levels immediately or face the risk of retaliation by the offender.

Having said that, especially if the girls are younger (e.g. <18U) I think you need to address immediately. At 18U, you could chat with your catcher and see what see wants to do - immediate or after the game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No different than any other major issue; immediate report to UIC/TD or if at a single game where there is not a UIC/TD immediate report to their assignor/league.

And I would expect it to be addressed seriously. Follow up to make sure it is.
Is there an in the moment conversation?

Was just thinking there could be a comment that
(i might) may/could/will
address immediatly.
How about,
Posibly coach go search for another umpire could ask to step in to remove issue umpire.

*Just a topic

Jan 22, 2011
With the issues with abuse in USA Gymnastics, I'm sure the sanctioning body of that tournament would be very interested in hearing about this. There has also been some abuse scandals in the swimming world. Several years ago I was asked to sit behind home plate to see if I heard the umpire saying anything inappropriate to the catcher. Over 10 years ago a local HS got an umpire banned from doing any of their games because he was saying inappropriate things to the short stop as the field umpire.

May 29, 2015
@RADcatcher, you have complimented me on my willingness to be open and share my embarrassing stories ...

I've done this.

Granted, I was 14 years old and doing a 14u softball game for $10, a soda, and a candy bar in the late 1980s. My ex-GF may have been playing in that game. And maybe my GF-to-be ... for a few weeks ... it was a whirlwind summer romance.

tenor.gif

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think a little more clarity on what "flirting with players" means is needed. All instances will be addressed, but not necessarily in the same way.

If an umpire makes some single comment that could maybe be taken multiple ways, I have a conversation with him about it. I also talk with the player involved to see how she feels about it. A lot of ways something like that could go.

On the other end, if there's some kind of inappropriate physical contact, the game is either over for that umpire or my team. We won't continue playing. If we can't get the umpire removed/replaced so we can continue, I'd just end the game. That's really not a hard decision.

In any case, it needs to be addressed. Even if it ultimately is a big nothing, your players need to know you will have their backs, take care of them, and take these situations seriously.

Jul 22, 2015
And limited at that.
Even an 'inappropriate' line.
When that happens,
How should a player/coach handle such a predicament?
Would this be an in the moment
'inappropriate' not ok blue?!!!
By the player/coach?!!!
Is this directly after the game?
Seems of course could write some written complaint letter.
However, this is a person to person topic, that maybe
(Just MAYBE) a player might want to speak up more immediately to say
inappropriate!

I hate it, but the world we now live in dictates that we have to be so careful not to even get CLOSE to a line (which sometimes means it's hard to even be friendly). The girls often like to chat with umps, and their behavior could often be considered "flirting" as well. I hate to be a jerk to them but I've tried to be so cognizant of not saying or doing anything that could be considered even too friendly, much less flirting. Obviously, if any coach or umpire makes comments that are clearly over the line I wouldn't even wait for the game to finish before reporting it to the other umpire on the field and the UIC and tourney director.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2